Maximum Power Circuit

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by camino, Oct 8, 2009.

1. camino

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 17, 2009

Can anyone give me an idea of how to solve this problem?

Do I want to convert the current sources to voltage sources or visa-versa? I was thinking of making the 2A and 4A current sources into voltage sources by V = IR. So (2A)(10Ω) = 20V and (4A)(12Ω) = 50V ?

Then I was thinking of using mesh analysis to find the current in each loop.

P = (I^2)(R) is what I believe I will use to solve.

Please help with any explanations on what I need to do to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. EE_Bob

Jul 21, 2009
    If you find the thevenin equivalent at Rload you should be able to to come up with an equivalent circuit involving one voltage source and a resistor. You can then apply Rload to your thevenin circuit and set Rload to Rthevenin.
  3. camino

Sep 17, 2009
    How can I solve for the equivalent circuit?
  4. camino

Sep 17, 2009
    I simplified the circuit into 4 loops, then applied mesh current analysis and got the following:

I1= 3.1374A
    I2= -0.2125A
    I3= -5.7941A
    I4= 0.1874A

(I started loop 1 in the bottom left square and went clockwise in numbering.)

Now, I'm not sure how to find max power if I don't know the resistance of the load.

Please help!
  5. Ratch

Mar 20, 2007

How could you come up with finite currents if you don't know the value of the load resistor?

OK, first Théveninize the two current sources. Then remove the load resistor and calculate the voltage across points a,b. Then short the points a,b and calculate the current existing across points a,b. Divide open voltage by shorted current to get source resistance of points a,b. From max power transfer theorem, max power is transferred when load resistance is equal to source resistance.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  6. The Electrician

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 9, 2007
    Don't they teach the multiplication tables anymore?

4*12 = 48, not 50.