maximum JPEG file size

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hi

On numerous occasions in the past I had to link my images to some external image hosting website because the maximum file size allowed for JPEG (and many other other formats) is around 250 KB. If the file size is more than the allowed limit then the attachment size gets reduced to the allowed limit automatically at the expense of making the attached image's quality poor. On many different other forums the allowed limit for the JPEG and other formats is around 1 MB. Therefore, I think it would be a good idea to increase the file size to, say, 1 MB so that good quality images can be attached here directly and one shouldn't have to link to some external source. Thank you.

Regards
PG

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The maximum sizes are given in the manage attachments dialog:

asc 97.7 KB - -
bin 97.7 KB - -
bmp 97.7 KB - -

brd
97.7 KB - -
doc
2.00 MB - -
gif
97.7 KB - -
hex 97.7 KB - -
jpe 293.0 KB - -
jpeg 293.0 KB - -
jpg 293.0 KB - -
lbr 195.3 KB - -
pdf 5.00 MB - -
png 293.0 KB - -
psd 2.00 MB - -
sch 732.4 KB - -

sub
5.00 MB - -
txt
19.5 KB - -
zip 5.00 MB - -

You could also attach the jpeg in a PDF, wich may have maximum sze of 5 Mb.

A schematic in .png format will not be as fuzzy as a jpeg, as it is uncompressed.

Bertus

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I really can't nail down the size relation between a JPEG and a PNG. I thought PNG, as a newer format offers a better resolution/filesize ratio, but using a software converter to go from JPEG to PNG, the results were disappointing. The resulting file was the same size, if not larger.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The PNG format use a non lossy compression format. JPG use a lossy compression format. If you plan to post a schematic or PCB. Do not take screen snapshot. But create a PDF file. As this is far better. You can download free PDF printer drivers for Linux,OSX, and windows

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
You can download free PDF printer drivers for Linux,OSX, and windows
Note that OSX has PDF printing and viewing build directly into the operating system. And the exporting is very good and better than most of the free versions. I've used the PDF exported from OSX directly and submitted the files to conferences/journals that have strict PDF guidlines and the PDFs always pass their screening filters. Downloaded versions (at least the ones I've tried for Windows) rarely give PDFs that pass the filters.

In response tot he OP - PG1995, the use of PDFs has been my preferred way to get around the file size limits with other formats. The types of images you normally post would would work well in PDF form, as they tend to be excerpts from text books.

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Thank you for the replies.

But things should be as simple as possible. When other forums can use larger file sizes then why it can't be done here. I understand that perhaps it will take some effort and time but that would be a good step and many members would appreciate it. Yes, using a PDF file is an alternative but first you have to convert the original format, like JPEG, into a PDF and further conversions can affect the resolution of a image. Thanks.

Regards
PG

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

We moderators can not change the size limits.
The size limits can only be changed by Dave or jrap, the administrators.
I think the maximum size is kept low, as not everybody has high speed internet connections.

You can "print" PDF's using DORO-DPF:
http://doro-pdf-writer.en.softonic.com/

Or perhaps the scanner program has the possibility to export to PDF.

Bertus

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Thank you for the replies.

But things should be as simple as possible. When other forums can use larger file sizes then why it can't be done here. I understand that perhaps it will take some effort and time but that would be a good step and many members would appreciate it. Yes, using a PDF file is an alternative but first you have to convert the original format, like JPEG, into a PDF and further conversions can affect the resolution of a image. Thanks.

Regards
PG
One way around this is to use say photobucket.com. And post a link to your picture here. I have noticed you post many questions here using scans from your schoolbooks as part of the documentation. Which at least I find quite explanatory. So your question is legit.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Even though the AAC policy is to host all files locally, I think it makes sense that one would use a photo-sharing service to upload a large image.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

An other way to reduce the file size will be the reduction of the number of colors.
In a scan from a book 8 bits will be sufficient in most cases.
Most drawings that I post here are in .png format and in 8 bits color resolution.

Bertus

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
One way around this is to use say photobucket.com. And post a link to your picture here. I have noticed you post many questions here using scans from your schoolbooks as part of the documentation. Which at least I find quite explanatory. So your question is legit.
Thank you.

I have been using the service ImageShack which is quite similar to the PhotoBucket whenever there is a need for high resolution image. But having everything in one place would be a good idea rather than using some external source. Thanks.

Regards
PG