maximum ampere current

assassinelec

Joined Mar 22, 2011
hi all,
can someone tell me plz how do i can know how much current in ampere i can drain it from the power supply, in other word how do i know the maximum ampere of the power supply can handle.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
"The power supply" is something we know nothing about. If your power supply has any specifications on it, it will give you that information.

Can you tell us more about the particular power supply in question?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
If your label has WATTS, then you can divide by the VOLTS to get AMPS

It may also have something called VA(voltampere), which is similar to Watts but used for AC systems.

Example: 250W on the label. Power supply uses 120VAC. Dividing those two gives approx. 2 amps.

Since you cannot get more power out of the supply than you put in, the DC will also be limited to this maximum amount. Which means you will not get more than 250 Watts out of your supply since that is all you are putting in.

Going to the DC output side, you can take your Wattage figure and adjust downward by 10 or 20% to allow for wasted power in heat, and conversion losses. So assume only 200 Watts will appear as output for 250 Watts input.

Do the math again, using your power supply output voltage.
Example: You have a 24 volt supply, so 200 Watts divided by 24 Volts is approx. 8 Amps.

Since you don't tell us what you have, the rest of this assignment can be considered as your homework. :)