Maxheadroom

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MrChips, Aug 1, 2014.

1. MrChips

Thread Starter Moderator

Oct 2, 2009
    Where is Maxheadroom when you needed him?

This truck driver drives into bridge with the box tipped up:

[​IMG]

Not very Smart.

What do you do with guys like this?

2. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    find them a government job.

Chalma likes this.
  3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I know what would happen in Soylent Green...

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    We just had a Semi here drive in to a low bridge, always a couple a year, I would have thought with today's technology someone would come up with a warning system, maybe something on the truck itself as well as the bridge, to give the driver time to stop before entering the bridge?

Prevent them from entering cyberspace as I did. :p :)
    Max.

5. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    here in wichita, there are overpases on first and second streets that are very low, sofar, flashing lights, signs, and other things have been tried, it still averages at least one truck stuck a month after 50 years. either armor the overpasses (has been done and destroyed) or raist them till nothing can possably hit them (and watch planes get stuck).

6. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    There are alarm systems specifically designed for trucks like that that will warn the driver that their box is up any amount even if its only an inch or two.

The problem is they cost a few hundred dollars and a few hours of shop time to install and many companies simply do not see there equipment or drivers as being worth that added expense and time it takes to outfit a truck with a safety system.

If no law mandates it or backs it up with stiff fines and high levels of continual checking very few companies will do anything about a potential problem them selves. :mad:

7. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    How does he not see this in his rear view mirror while driving down the road..

8. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    ....probably his employer doesn't even think it worthwhile fitting the truck with a rear view mirror either :).

9. MrChips

Thread Starter Moderator

Oct 2, 2009
    Apparently the driver was charged with impaired driving.

10. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Today’s shaggy dog story, and a true one too.

Years back the place at I was working my office was in the front with a window so I could see the street. One Friday near quitting time we hear a very loud bang. I look out to see a dump truck slowly tooling up the street with the dump mostly up but slowly descending as he ran off. Behind him was a cable across the street, and across the street was another dump truck, this one stopped and the driver was bailing out shaking both his hands as if to shake something off them.

Wow… looks like a power cable across the street! I dial 9-911 (9 to get out and 911 emergency services). Get connected. I want to make a fast report then get out there before cars start running over live wires.

“911 Emergency. Please state your emergency.”

“A truck just downed some power line that run across the street.”

“Oh dear, what is your address?”

“We are at 123 Something Street in Anytown.”

“Oh, that’s in Outer County, this is Inner county. Let me connect you there.”

(OK, we’re nearly on the broder… let’s try this again.)

“Oh, I see. Let me connect you to emergency services.”

(Huh? Isn’t that what 911 is for?)

“Is there a business at that address?”

“Yes this is Big Stack Manufacturing.”

The operator squeals with delight. “Oh, I used to work there. Is Shelly still there?”

Huh???? Even though I knew of no one of that name I convinced her Shelly was indeed fine and could she please send some guys with flashing lights to halt traffic?

Anyway, as it turned out, the Cops got there just before the crunch traffic which made the jam worse but kept everyone safe. Lord knows what the driver across the street was doing shaking his hands because it was not electrical lines, but the telephone lines to every other building in the plant but the one I was in.

11. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
  12. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    Very good crane work in the second video.

13. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011