Maths book advise please

Discussion in 'Math' started by orbiter, Nov 21, 2010.

1. orbiter

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 17, 2010
  2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Knowing algebra backwards and forwards is a requirement.

Pre-calc and calculus are handy for understanding things, but not "required" for basic circuit design, as most of the equations have used certain assumptions and integrated or derived into algebraic equations for solutions (see first statement).

Being able to solve for a variable, and write equations to match a schematic is vital.

For understanding how/why the equations work, then basically the more math you learn the better, up through calc to differential equations and beyond.

3. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    I'll assume you're not interested in the engineering-type understanding of electronics, so that rules out any real need for studying calculus and the classes beyond. For the most part, if you know and understand the usual pre-college class material of algebra, trig, and geometry, you're reasonably well prepared for most things in electronics. The only thing that you might want to get more detail on is dealing with complex numbers. You can probably get most of what you need from a freshman in college algebra book, depending on the book. Your local library would be a good place to check for books too.

Depending on where you live, your local library may be able to let you borrow a copy of the book on interlibrary loan. This would let you check out the book before spending money on it. It can sometimes take time to get the book, however, as they usually ship it by a ground sloth with an infected toe.

I can't comment on the particular book you've chosen because I haven't seen it and the web site doesn't give a table of contents.

Another approach is to ask questions on this board when you run across something that stumps you, as there's always someone who will provide some help.

4. orbiter

Jun 17, 2010
    Appreciate the good advise fellas, thanks. I think asking here is probably going to be my best bet when I get stuck, as I know for a fact that maths is never going to be a strong point for me. I can remember not being very good at it back in school many many years ago and not much has changed since.

This reason for my question though was purely from a hobbyists point of view as I've recently got back into electronics. At present I'm just building some simple circuits and reading quite a bit, however because I'm seeing a lot of math in my new books I thought I'd ask the question.

I've got a couple of basic books but I'm finding The Art of Electronics hard to put down, along with a couple of other good books by Floyd including 'Electronics Fundamentals' and Digital Fundamentals. It's just the maths that bog me down a bit, but I'm not giving up on it this time, especially now that there are sites & forums such as this with huge amounts of info & help available.

Thanks again fellas

Regards

orb

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  6. orbiter

Jun 17, 2010
    Thank you bertus, that site has now been stored in my fav's folder & will definately come in handy. I think the book you linked may be far to advanced for me at present although I have recently just bought this book which does contain a lot of basic math.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronics...9619/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290426325&sr=8-1

Also I have this one in mind for when I'm happy that I'm progressing...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics...3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290425738&sr=1-3-spell

Thanks again

Regards

orb

7. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  8. orbiter

Jun 17, 2010
    Thanks again bertus, I actually had Educypedia in my fav's already however my link was to the Electronics page. I've now added a link to the front page so I can see all the topics covered.

Regards

orb