Mass internet outage?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tcmtech, Sep 3, 2015.

1. tcmtech

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Interesting thing happening here today. Seems that there is a massive internet outage or mass blocking ineffect locally here of some sort.

Some sites work but many time out before connecting as if they are totally offline.
    The strange thing is most sites I am familiar with that run off their own server systems are working just fine.

I have reset all my gear here and have done tests off all of our laptops and PS plus tried runing off of my brothers internet and my neighbors as well and have found the exact same pattern of limited accessability.

Local stuff like my phone company, power company, bank and what not are just fine but many others that I frequent are not and a lot of the links going off of the MSN news main pages dont work. Some do but others are totally MIA.

My regular forums I use like CR4, ETO, Red Power Magaine, AllisChalmers Forum, and such are totaly out. Business wise Digikey, Menards, Capital one Banking, Surplus center and Walmart are not lcaly accessable from any of our places either.

Heck my auto spell check stuff is even off line today. :rolleyes:

Anyone else ever seen or experianced this?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    No, and I am very happy to say I got my bills paid (by on-line banking) 30 minutes ago. If your problem spreads, I will be sticking stamps on envelopes next month. :eek:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  3. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I also see that some links in threads here work fine and others do not just as on other sites that work.

Somebody dig up one of those 6"+ dia fiber optic super cables going to a server farm? :eek:

4. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Like I said my local places are working fine and about half of everything else on line is fine as well. It's a real head scratcher for me right now. I've never seen anyting like it. :confused:

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Stuff happens. Wait a few hours, or until tomorrow, then ask your service provider. Their nerds usually know where the knot in the hose is pretty quickly.

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Maybe the Chinese and Russian military maneuvers off Alaska are testing their electronic blackout weapons.

John

7. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I noticed a slowdown about 11 this morning, but nothing major.

#12 likes this.
  8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Maybe a flock of woodpeckers were diverted by the smoke coming from the west. They found The Tree in North Dakota and started pecking. Only other option after The Tree were the telephone poles. Sorry buddy, you'll have intermittent internet service until the migration. [insert Woody Woodpecker laugh here]

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    So did I, but that was when I finished mowing the lawn in a heat index of 103!
    Oh...wait...this Thread is about the Internet.
    Never mind.:p

nsaspook and tracecom like this.
  10. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Indeed! -- I experienced very similar difficulty five days running --- My ISP chose to deny the problem - despite reports of same by several tens of subscribers (seems DSL subscribers are, in effect, 'orphans' whom the provider{s} feel may be safely ignored) -- In my case amelioration required involvement of my legal team - (cool with me inasmuch as the settlement includes 12 months free service!:D)

Based upon presentation - it seems my outage owed to a DOS attack -- the acknowledgement of which would (for whatever reason) open the ISP's parent company to liability --- Point being - patience gets one nothing but older! --- Take nothing short of "problem solved" for an answer!:D:D:D Trust me! Establishment of a reputation as one not wisely 'messed with' - on any level - pays lifelong dividends! -- despite (occasional) short-term setbacks...

Bet of luck!:):):)

Best regards
    HP

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Experience tells me you are correct.
    When I was less than 15 years old, I was a serious coward. When the day came that I busted a bully in the face, the world turned. The other ill mannered boys at school kept their distance and I realized you have to be willing to step towards the pain to avoid being a target of opportunity.

The part that escapes me is the, "down side". Courage has never caused me trouble or made a situation worse. Maybe that is because demonstrating courage is a small, well defined purpose. "Establishing a reputation" could involve a very wide range of motives and behaviors. My nature trimmed the dross and the result was valid.

strantor likes this.
  12. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Oh? You mean my reference: "despite (occasional) short-term setbacks" ?
    Merely that although bullies, litigants, etc... occasionally prevail... It is the outcome of the 'war' as opposed to each 'battle' that is significant...

Exactly!:):):)

Best regards
    HP

13. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    User's are leaving comcast and going back to Ma Bell,comcast has wide range

outages. Uverse,I think they call it. Ma Bell ..first and forever....old money has

staying power.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  14. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    My wife works for the local phone company and apparently some major line or system relating to it got knocked out hard someplace near Fargo ND and wiped out internet service for most of the state.

15. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
  16. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Southwestern Bell has been financially successful, but their operation is terrible. They still haven't fully integrated AT&T, and the recent DirecTV purchase continues the debacle. Give me back the days before the AT&T breakup; it's too bad that Grunhaus didn't live to see the fruits of his ruling. Yuuck!

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  17. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Can't speak for service from the current baby Bells or ATT (I am currently on FIOS for everything from an ISP). While the break up certainly caused local service problems, how many people had "free" unlimited long distance service before that change? For telephone service alone, I have not had a phone bill in the last 25 years as high as I frequently had before. Competition is good.

John

nsaspook likes this.
  18. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Yes, that is true. I wonder how AT&T would have responded to the internet. AT&T management was stodgy, but maybe the Bell Labs guys would have prevailed.

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    The saddest are these: "It might have been!"

19. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    WHAT? I figured you for the type that would already be sticking stamps, and watching the mailbox out the window until the mail jeep comes. Actually I want to say that I got that idea from something you said in the past, more than once; didn't you say that you've never entered your credit card number into a computer or something like that?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I don't have to enter my credit card number to go to the website where my bank has already put my account (and millions of others) on the internet. I just watch for the Jeep, put the paper bills in a pile, and math out who gets how much before I log in to the bank site. If that fails, I have postage stamps.

Just remembered, I can drive to the bank (in about 4 minutes) and use their computer to do the transfers. They don't object when I show up and investigate/repair computer banking problems with them. (Forgetting to click on, "submit" has happened to more than one person.)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    strantor likes this.