Marx Bank

planters

Joined Sep 24, 2014
Hi,
I am new to this forum, but I am an avid participant to a laser based forum called Photonlexicon. I am currently working on a dye laser project that requires moderate energies (several hundred joules) to be discharged into several flash lamps within 1-2 usec. I have chosen to parallel charge and series discharge (Marx bank) 4 low inductance capacitors. The charging voltage is 6-7,000V and the capacitors are each 6.5 uF in capacity. The discharge circuit, including the leads and flash lamps is calculated at approximately 4uH and the charging inductors in the bank will be built to have 2 mH inductance each. The pulse repetition frequency will be less than or equal to 5Hz. The capacitors are pretty neat. I rolled them myself with polyester film and because of their size I built a rolling station in the workshop to facilitate the assembly.

So far so good. My question is what are the issues that I should watch for if I decide to assemble the inductors on a pvc tube and mount this large diameter tube over the narrower pvc tube that holds the coaxial capacitors? The only Marx bank set ups that I have seen have placed the inductors (when inductors are used) well away from the capacitors. Most of these systems are configured for mega volt operation and so simple isolation of these components may explain this. I would prefer the nested set up to minimize the size of my build, but I am concerned that the 10kA current traveling up the capacitor or the brief, high field in the inductors that are resisting retrograde current flow will interact in a significant way. Any thoughts?

Thanks