Mars,Agree ,Disagree

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
One year to reach mars surface.

Circle mars and return,possible unmanned craft.

Put supplies in orbit,pick up with space craft...them sling shot to mars,drop supplies. .

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi Loosewire.

What's up?

Have you seen the Martian with Matt Damon?

I have not, but I think it is a good one. Yesterday I saw Interstellar on Netflix. It was a good movie.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hi Loosewire.

What's up?

Have you seen the Martian with Matt Damon?

I have not, but I think it is a good one. Yesterday I saw Interstellar on Netflix. It was a good movie.
The Martian looks to be good and Interstellar has improved to good status with me as the Science of the movie was so good and the acting so bad in parts it took a while to see what parts to skip over mentally.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
@nerdegutta ,no movie...watched c-span...professor said one year to mars.

Looking for facts,where else would you go....here...@shteii01 ,any comments.
With the discovery of 'flowing' water on Mars in salts things are looking up for the planet. With easy access to water you have hydrogen and oxygen and with the salts you can make solid-rocket fuel on Mars so a two-way trip is possible with the right equipment.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Did they use printers to make supplies ,the professor said that will happen sooner or later.

He would volunteer if younger to settle mars ,there a lot what ifs.......

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Could you send supplies to earth orbit ,send a space craft to orbit...attach to supplies

to mars rocket and drop them on mars surface for later use by settlers.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Could you send supplies to earth orbit ,send a space craft to orbit...attach to supplies
to mars rocket and drop them on mars surface for later use by settlers.
Yes. When the math shows that it costs too much energy to launch all the supplies with the passenger ship, stashing your cookies in orbit will improve the equation.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The process and treatment they put soy beans thru for soy milk and other stuff.

Think about how you change one form of food another,from solid to liquid....gas.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Yes. When the math shows that it costs too much energy to launch all the supplies with the passenger ship, stashing your cookies in orbit will improve the equation.
I dunno, might not be a bad idea at that!:) -- IMO Anyone 'in line' to settle Mars has long since lost their cookies!:eek::eek::eek:

EDIT: That's 'lost' --- as opposed to 'spilled' (their cookies) --- not that the two are mutually exclusive...:D

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
He would volunteer if younger...
I think some of the older astronauts are getting a twinkle in their eyes when they talk about settling Mars on these recent interviews. Although no reporter has asked yet, I wonder if some are thinking 'a one-way trip to Mars wouldn't be a bad way to finish my days'.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The process and treatment they put soy beans thru for soy milk and other stuff.

Think about how you change one form of food another,from solid to liquid....gas.
That sounds like a good supporting detail for the next space movie; compressed gaseous food stored in tanks, enabling uncommonly long space voyages.

Damnit! The monkey got ahold of the pizza tank again and wasted 3 months worth of movie night cuisine!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Venus would be a far better choice for a first visit than Mars, imo.
For a one way trip Venus can we have a public voting system to select the people to go there?

At least 80% of our government and about 50% of our high security prison occupants get my vote!

(The other 50% of the high security prisoners can take over the missing government peroneals positions. I trust they would be as if not more trustworthy in their place. )

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That sounds like a good supporting detail for the next space movie; compressed gaseous food stored in tanks, enabling uncommonly long space voyages.
Actually you can carry liquid "food", in the forms of CO2, water and ammonia. Microbial and plant enzyme systems can convert these raw materials into food we are already familiar with and enjoy. Just add energy.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Actually you can carry liquid "food", in the forms of CO2, water and ammonia. Microbial and plant enzyme systems can convert these raw materials into food we are already familiar with and enjoy. Just add energy.
Doesn't sound quite as appealing as a tank of chili nacho gas.