Marketplace Forum suggestions

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by spinnaker, Jan 18, 2011.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Wow a new forum to trade excess parts. I wonder who the extremely intelligent forum member was that came up with that idea. :)

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. As mentioned any money transactions should be handled via PM.

2. Please post your location at the top of your list. At the very least update your location in your profile. I wanted a couple of those drives from tom but they are probably not worth shipping to the states.

3. Please try to keep you list updated. As people claim items, take them off of your list.

4. Mention if you want to trade, sell or just offer for free your items.

5. Please think of others and do not offer parts that are no longer usable. If you won't use then because they are too old then others will probably not want to use them either.

6. Please do not hijack threads. If you have something to offer or something you want, please create a separate thread. It is fine to offer something you have for an item a forum member has to offer in an existing thread.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I think the suggestion by t06afre (http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=322147&postcount=11) to close threads once a trade/sale is complete would be good to add. Otherwise, users will be asking months after the sale whether something is still available.

Edit: Some hobbyist marketplaces close all listings after 30 or 60 days. That helps the lister who forgets.

John

3. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

I think closing a thread is asking a bit much of the mods. I think we should police it on our own.

But I am open to suggestions.

I see a mod made this a sticky. Thank you. So this thread does not get too polluted with various suggestions and discussions, I will volunteer to update the first post as we agree on guidelines.

If you want me to modify any existing guidelines I have already posted just let me know.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Anything that keeps the sticky from being hard to navigate is good. Thanks for the offer & suggestions.

5. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    What about rules for the transaction. The worst issue were gonna have judging by other forums I've seen with classifieds is keeping everyone on the up and up. A few suggestions I have...

1. Limit forum access to senior members and higher, or a 100 post count, or an account verified by ebay feedback.

2. Have a standard rule for trades of transactions. 1. If two people decide to trade the one with the best feedbacks' in the goodguy thread ships last. Or if there is not a goog guy thread, the one with the least amount of posts ships first, or the one thats been a member the newest ships first. (A goodguy list is just a thread forum sticky'd to the top that you can post your feedback for a transaction so if I traded beenthere some Caps, for resistors and it went good I'd post

POST #1
    url : Link to thread
    Trader : BeenThere
    Review : Very fast shipping, got it no problem and was exaclty what he said it was.

The POST #2 would be the next review. It basically forms a list you can search to see if people have traded with em before. Easy work around with out an embedded review system.

6. VoodooMojo

Nov 28, 2009
    Would it be appropriate or convenient to post a Wish List with this.
    for instance, if I am building a project and need specific items I could post it here and if other members have the part available they could respond?

7. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Only members with 10+ posts may start a thread in the Marketplace.
    Others can only reply to the threads.

The items to trade must be clearly electronic parts or devices.

There may also be requests for parts (please put "wanted" in front of the thread title).

We do not want to be a jumpboard for ebay sales.
    Please keep all the trades on this forum.

When the trade has finished the trader can contact the mods through PM to close the thread.
    Also when no activity has been to a thread for more than 90 days, the thread will be closed.

Bertus

8. RRITESH KAKKAR

Jun 29, 2010

like me..!!

9. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I only suggest you check people ebay feedback because as soon as people get wind people are trading here were gonna see a bunch more members, and scammers that will by trying to get anything they can. Thats why usually its prefered to have some sort if inhouse feedback, or at least this is my ebay or amazon profile to show I'm not a scammer.
    Classified sections if not run perfectly can quickly turn into a pandora's box. With a lot of people getting mad. I've seen members with 5000k post's and 9 years of membership flip out on a forum and rip people off for Thousands of dollars in parts and items. People naturally think they can trust him without realizing he's had a breakdown and is now crazy making meaningful shapes in his mash potatoes at dinner. Just something to think about.

10. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Some of us may not use Ebay. Does that mean those members are not to be trusted?

With respect to those very senior members ripping other members off, can you provide any substance to those claims? Is this a warning that merely being able to sell items will surely drive some members insane?

11. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    No I've just been trading on forums for about 8 years and have seen it happen tons of times over and over again.
    http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t270814p1/
    http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t422396p1/
    http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t627622p1/
    http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t626407p1/
    http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t625207p1/
    http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t624007p1/

This is a quick 3 minute scan of another high traffic site that does a classified section. I've seen it happen over 100 times in the years. I'm not saying people with no ebay can't play. I'm just saying when your dealing with someone on a honor basis seeing they have good feedback on other sites is common practice when running a classified section on a forum. Thats all I'm sayin, no ones inventing the wheel here.

12. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    There is no mechanism contemplated about verifying trustworthiness of buyers/sellers. Problems will probably simply end the feature.

If you feel you must have some sort of measure of such trustworthiness, I suggest you do not participate. Why take the risk?

13. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I'm sorry, I thought the title of this thread was features and suggestions, not lets critique everything maxpower might say because I'm bored.

14. tom66

May 9, 2009
    Such transactions will happen anyway (e.g. via PM), regardless of whether or not there is a specific forum for it.

15. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Maybe trade or free only? It would save a lot of grief. Members could agree to pay for shipping but that is about it?

16. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I wouldn't try to put too many rules here. The limitiation of Sr. Members only seems like a good rule, but anything else would just add to the moderators work load.

If someone has an online store I would suggest they keep it to themselves, as that would be spamming, but anything they want to sell on as an individual basis would be OK.

I suspect things will work well here until some special person comes along and tries to ruin it for everyone.

I wouldn't worry too much about cash being discussed, as long as the seller understands his stuff will be critiqued by everyone on this site, some of whom are experts. The private information needs to stay private, PMs only.

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rules.

Just my 2¢. Any buyers?

17. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Keep it simple is good. We'll leave this open for further commentary for a bit longer. Then we can condense things and see how it goes.

18. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I hate to do this. Really. How about books on electronics or old electronic magazines?

19. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Sounds OK to me, Just be sure none of the magazines are too shocking. You know we have a rule...

John

dl324 likes this.
  20. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I've tried to keep my stacks separate. However, I do have kids. Nosy ones.