Mapping 4017 output to LEDs

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm designing a PCB [double-sided protoboard] using a 4017 with all its outputs used to illuminate LEDs in counting order. Does anyone have a trace/wiring layout already figured out for this? I want minimal space, short traces/wires and so on. I want the LEDs all in one column, probably parallel to the 4017 but I have some flexibility to make it perpendicular if that saves space.

I can obviously get to this myself eventually but this chore has to have been done by others a zillion times already.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Awesome. I'll look that over. Why do they use a resistor on each LED instead of a single resistor on the ground line for the LEDs? Only one at a time will be lit.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
All Electronics, CAT# AEC, LED Chaser KIT , $ 6.50; 555 & 4017, PCB, & allparts.
This one uses one LED I limiting R.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Those are good suggestions but neither layout uses the 0.1" perfboard layout, so I brute forced my own layout. I'm not super happy with it - too many wires - but it's not obvious to me how I could improve on it.

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 11.37.59 AM.png

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I made no cost judgement (except to raise an eyebrow at all those resistors). It's just that the PCB trace layout doesn't apply directly to my perfboard, so I chose to do my own layout.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
In the commercial board, they used resistors for both limiting current in the LEDs, and as jumpers across traces. Yes, you really only need a single resistor, since only one LED can be on at a time - but you'll still need jumpers due to the IC's pinout and your board layout requirements. Resistors are really, really cheap when bought in quantity - and make for good jumpers when required.