Manual or auto partitions?

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys;what is the difference between using the auto partition process or do a manual partition,

i never did manual partition on my Computers with Win and Linux installed, i always let the grub do the job.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Grub will not do the partitioning.
Grub is a bootloader to select the different operating systems.
The partitioning is probably done by the install program with the use of a partirtioning program like Gparted.

I always use manual partitioning, when I install linux.
I make a root partition of about 20 Gb, where all programs will be stored.
A swap partition of about 2Gb, this is used by linux as swap space.
And a home partition, wich will be the size of the rest of the disk, this will hold your personal data.

Using this, you can reinstall linux without loosing data.

Bertus

PS I am using OpenSuse ( https://www.opensuse.org/en/ )

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hello,

Grub will not do the partitioning.
Grub is a bootloader to select the different operating systems.
The partitioning is probably done by the install program with the use of a partirtioning program like Gparted.

I always use manual partitioning, when I install linux.
I make a root partition of about 20 Gb, where all programs will be stored.
A swap partition of about 2Gb, this is used by linux as swap space.
And a home partition, wich will be the size of the rest of the disk, this will hold your personal data.

Using this, you can reinstall linux without loosing data.

Bertus

PS I am using OpenSuse ( https://www.opensuse.org/en/ )

Thanks bertus for the info; but i always get confused with this partition stuff,and i tend to screw up partitions and system trying to make partitions, so i always let the system do the work,besides i don't have nothing to save,if i want anything saved i use USB drives Cds or Hp external hard drive i have,the only thing that i have to do is recuperate my web lnks is to use Google Chrome and Import all the links, pretty much easy