Man down?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It would seem reasonable to me for forum management to tickle any member that "disappears". There could be good reasons or no reason, and that's up to the member and his privacy, but a "welfare check" is not too invasive.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It would seem reasonable to me for forum management to tickle any member that "disappears". There could be good reasons or no reason, and that's up to the member and his privacy, but a "welfare check" is not too invasive.
It certainly couldn't be considered spam, coming from a forum in which one is normally so active...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thingmaker3 moved to a rural location where his internet is spotty. We discussed this a couple of years ago with him, I made the contact as a matter of fact.

As for the rest, it is the curse of the internet. People can die, be hurt or disabled, and we'll never know unless some kind soul chooses to pass it on. For me this is very frustrating, but we don't require an extensive contact list, just an email. If you consider someone your friend I strongly encourage you to pass along phone numbers and addresses via PM, lest you or they just disappear into the void.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thingmaker3 moved to a rural location where his internet is spotty. We discussed this a couple of years ago with him, I made the contact as a matter of fact.

As for the rest, it is the curse of the internet. People can die, be hurt or disabled, and we'll never know unless some kind soul chooses to pass it on. For me this is very frustrating, but we don't require an extensive contact list, just an email. If you consider someone your friend I strongly encourage you to pass along phone numbers and addresses via PM, lest you or they just disappear into the void.
Yeah... I've often thought of what you say too... there ought to be some sort of a system that informs your online friends when you have passed away, or something...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Usually it is a spouse, kid, or sibling reading a note left by someone who was being thoughtful. Kinda like a will.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
That unnatural necessity of persisting we have. If gone, gone.

If I sound crude or shocking, Nature taught me (with the stupid addition of pain that serves no one).