making your own printed board

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ddickey, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ddickey

Thread Starter Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Has anyone had experience with printing your circuit off of multisim onto magazine paper then ironing that onto a sheet of copper?

2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Nerdegutta pointed out my thread,

How I make PCBs

I like wax paper because it is a lot cheaper than magazines, and pretty effective. The basic techniques are similar though.

I may eventually end up gong to photographic methods for the same reasons though. Double sided alignment is a major pain.

4. K7GUH

Jan 28, 2011
    I will watch your progress with considerable interest. I'm not rich enough to hire someone to do onesie-twosie quantities, and most of the circuits I'd like to build aren't suitable to dead-bug assembly.

5. ddickey

Thread Starter Member

Sep 28, 2011
    If someone wants to convert my schematics to a pcb design I'll give you a few bucks for your time. I just can't seem to get it to work. For instance, I can't find a schematic for a 3 digit 7 segemtn display. Or when I do get soemthing put together there are errors all over and I can't figure out how to fix them.

6. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Actually nothing is cheaper than using the tons of junk mail that you get every day. I get one magazine type that is the perfect 8x10 size, I don't ev3en have to adjust the printer.

I have had mixed results with wax paper but I do like the fact that you can see through it making it easier to line up.

How does the photographic method make it easier to align then toner transfer method? Seems that would be pretty much the same or is it the slight distortion of the transfer that makes two sided more challenging?

7. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    It's no fun if someone else does it. Take a look at Express PCB and Express Schematic. Both very easy to use. There is probably better software out there but the learning curve is going to be greater.

7 segment displays are fairly simple.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_7/9.html

The article uses a BCD-to-7seg latch/decoder/driver but I have used shift registers. There are several ways you can drive them.

8. ddickey

Thread Starter Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Yes but if I'm trying to draw a schematic and the software doesn't support that component.

9. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    What are you trying to draw/make?

10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I use PCB Express. I have made many components from scratch for my library, both for the schematic and the physical part. We can probably help, depending on the software.

11. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

Which software? Express Schematic? Gee I didn't know that. I wonder why they call it Express Schematic and how I got it to draw schematics? :rolleyes:

12. ddickey

Thread Starter Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Heart rate monitor

13. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    in express PCB, or eagle?
    You can create your own parts in eagle.

14. ddickey

Thread Starter Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I tried but didn't work. It was so frustrating I just said screw it and shut off the computer. No I'm reconsidering as the project would look nice on board.

15. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    We've all been down that road. At least I have. :) Where do you need help?

16. ddickey

Thread Starter Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I'm going to downlaod express PCB and try again here in a few minutes. I've tried so many i can't remember. I have multisim and Ultiboard. Is this worth pursueing?

17. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Is it the 3 digit 7 segment that is bugging you?

Is it possible to use 3 separate DIL 14 sockets?

18. ddickey

Thread Starter Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Yes it is. WHen you build the schematic should you do straight connections going over other components?

19. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Don't cross wires over components. One of the goals for a schematic, is to be clear, simple*, and easy to read.

*simple = according to what the drawn device is supposed to to.

And if your schematic program has any kind of error checking - use it!

I use Eagle and use the Electrical Rule Check all the time.

20. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    You can create your own parts in Express too.

magnet18 likes this.