making your own demux has got me stumped

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ranch vermin, Sep 19, 2015.

1. ranch vermin

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2015
    So a mux is fairly simple if its just reeling the parallel signals onto a single signal. But reverse has the problem that if you just do that you end up with pulses.

So I guess maybe you go through some kind of accumulator capacitor/voltage doubler setup - to get a bit of voltage back on the dropouts.

I guess thats what youd do. As long as it wasnt needed 100000 times maybe a few capacitors wouldnt hurt it. :)

Since im planning on switching high voltage relays with the signal, its damn important i keep those switches closed and open when i need them to.

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    If you want to keep the output of the mux constant when the output is not being addressed then you need a latch at that output.
    An addressable latch, such as the 8-bit CD4099, which has 8 latched outputs, should work for you.
    If you need more than 8 outputs you can cascade them, using the WRITE DISABLE input to disable writing to the chips not active.
    Are you using a microcontroller to generate the control signal?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  3. ranch vermin

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2015
    Yes, its cpu based - coming out of an ordinary usb, so i need to split it parallel out - and mux it back in the read wire.
    ah addressed? do you mean using the pulses to set feedback flops - and using memory to do it. I didnt think of that.

4. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Are you muxing/demuxing analog signals or digital signals?

ak

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Not exactly.
    You give a 3-bit address to the CD4099 and then a data bit to set the latch at that address output.
    The latch is the memory.

You could use a USB to parallel port adapter to generate the required parallel commands for the CD4099.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  6. ranch vermin

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2015
    USB to parallel port adapter? that IS a demux. :)
    its a digital signal, but it closes an analogue voltage relay, given the right temporal pattern.

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Depending upon the number of relays you want to control, that may be all you need. :D
    But you will need a program to generate the parallel port protocol and get the desired output signals.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    ranch vermin likes this.