Making PCBs

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Z.K., May 5, 2012.

1. Z.K.

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    After doing a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that when making a home made PCB, the photo resist method seems like the best method. I have a couple of questions though concerning the light method when exposing the sensitized board. I have seen videos about just using a normal light source such as a 60W bulb or 13W CFL bulb, as well as using a sun lamp or an actual UV light source. I was wondering what is the best way to guarantee good results or does it really matter as long as there is a bright light to expose the board?
  2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    I've heard/ read that some people lay the transparent and the PCB out in the sun for some time, and that they are satisfied with the result. Others use, as you mention, a sun lamp. I bought some UV-LEDs on Ebay, and made my own UV-exposure box. The PCBs are exposed for the UV light for about 10 minutes. I've found that that is the best time.

To get the best result, you need UV light.
  3. Z.K.

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Okay, thanks. I actually have some UV LEDs, but after hooking one up it did not seem all that bright so I was not sure where or not to use it. I might just go buy a UV bulb then as it is a lot of work wiring up all those LEDs.
  4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009

Nov 30, 2010
    I have used sunlight. It worked perfectly on the first try! Just follow the instructions that come with the photosensitive boards you buy.