making my own boards

mikemoore

Joined Feb 6, 2013
hi all
I have been looking around youtube to see how you go about etching boards at home. i am now building projects that have out grown prototype board. i am still new to electronics but want to have a go at making these at home. this guy has made a tutorial on how he makes them here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASwQnm-ptj4

so my question is if i follow these instructions will i be on the right track?
many thanks for any help

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I used the sun for UV and it worked perfectly. It was a photo-resist board and I used a photographic clear sheet with the "keep the copper" parts in black. I don't remember the timing now, but I do remember it was for a tiny board with surface mount parts, a great need to avoid leakage currents, and it worked perfectly.

You can bet I followed the instructions that came with the photo-resist board because it only took one try and I had dozens of little PC boards printed. I just had to cut them out, one at a time.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The UV method is probably a little easier once you have the exposure box. A few of us have made them with UV LEDs, it's pretty cheap and effective.
Producing constantly better results, maybe. But I can't see how it is easier. You need specially treated boards, transparencies etc.

I find it very easy to use the toner transfer method. The right printer and a laminator really make life easier.

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
I've tried the transfer technique noted in Bill Marsden's excellent thread, and it works.
But most of my boards now are done by the photo method.
I buy the 2x4 Datak photoboards from Jameco.
I draw my circuit with Express PCB.
The circuit is printed on an INK JET transparency.
I expose the board and transparency with a 100 watt bulb for 11 min.
The board is developed in NaOH (2 teaspoons in 1 quart of H2O).
Etched in HCl and H2O2.

I've done this quite a few times, and from idea to drilled board it usually is about 2 hours.

I think you should choose the method that best works for you and your budget.
I want to try direct to PCB inject printing, but haven't had the time.

mikemoore

Joined Feb 6, 2013
i have made a light box just waiting for chemicals and board to come from rapid will update on my first try at this!
many thanks for all your help

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I wrote the AAC article in question for toner transfer, I am thinking of doing something similar for the photographic technique. Keep us (me) posted, I am interested.

Have you checked the Completed Project Collection forum? It has several etching articles there, mine is just one of several.

Completed Projects Index