making lights blink to music in car

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub1

Joined Jul 28, 2010
ok guys, i've been struggling with this for two days, and i think i need some help. I am trying to get a 12V LED strip to blink to the beat of my sub woofers. This is my first post on this site, and first attempt at making my own circut like this, so bear with me. This is what i have:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...chematic-1.jpg
My problem is that my subs seem to only be getting direct current. They are pushing out way farther then they usually do or if i switch the leads off the amp, they suck in. The light illuminates with the music as it should, but i'm worried about the subs and amp.

What's wrong? as simple as you can put it if you could

(just for clarification, the negative AC off the rectifier is going to the amp, and the negative DC is going to the voltage regulator.)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Truth to tell, I would never use my amp speaker outputs to drive LEDs. There are no real ups for it, and lots of downs (such as extreme distortion, and the possibility of damaging the amp itself). I would use a powered module to drive the LEDs that goes between your amplifier output (which is also the speakers) and the LEDs. I've designed such modules.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Your amplifier has DC on its outputs because your nightmare of a circuit has blown it up.

Your "schematic" is un-readable.

campeck

Joined Sep 5, 2009
Truth to tell, I would never use my amp speaker outputs to drive LEDs. There are no real ups for it, and lots of downs (such as extreme distortion, and the possibility of damaging the amp itself). I would use a powered module to drive the LEDs that goes between your amplifier output (which is also the speakers) and the LEDs. I've designed such modules.
could you use an opamp connected to the output of the amp as a voltage follower and input that into an lm3914?

jdub1

Joined Jul 28, 2010
Your amplifier has DC on its outputs because your nightmare of a circuit has blown it up.

Your "schematic" is un-readable.
The amp is not blow up, because when i disconnect the circut it is fine. I didnt post this for ridicule, the point is to get help and suggestions on my FIRST circut.

How big is that LED strip?
its a blue 12V strip about 12 inches long.

Exactly the point. It becomes a distraction and a safety issue.
It's under my dash. no one willl see but but the people in the car. I have it wired to a switch and they are on at night all the time. Guys, i didnt come for a safety lecture, i knew that its illegal, and a "distraction" if you could even call it that. I just want to know how to design such a circut.

jdub1

Joined Jul 28, 2010
how do you design one of these? do you have a schematic? or is it something i buy?

campeck

Joined Sep 5, 2009
What is an opamp? where could i get one?
http://talkingelectronics.com/projects/OP-AMP/OP-AMP-1.html

Radioshack.

Basically I am talking about using an opamp as a buffer. hook it up as a voltage follower. the output feeding directly back into the inverting input. and the non inverting hookup connected to the positive output of the amp. Since opamps are high impedance it shouldn't affect the amps or subs. Then hook the output up to a transistor that turns on the LED bar.

Ill draw a schematic.

Also what is the current and forward voltage of your LED bar?

BUT FIRST! DON'T BUILD THIS UNTIL BILL OR AUDIOGURU CHIMES IN.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DESTRUCTION OF YOUR AMP. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Basically I am talking about using an opamp as a buffer. hook it up as a voltage follower. the output feeding directly back into the inverting input. and the non inverting hookup connected to the positive output of the amp. Since opamps are high impedance it shouldn't affect the amps or subs.
What happens to the input of your opamp when the 200W (or more) sub-woofer amplifier feeds it plus and minus 40V peak (or more)?
Your opamp might melt and become a dead short to the amplifier.

campeck

Joined Sep 5, 2009
What happens to the input of your opamp when the 200W (or more) sub-woofer amplifier feeds it plus and minus 40V peak (or more)?
Your opamp might melt and become a dead short to the amplifier.
I thought it looked too easy. Is the voltage just too much for the opamp?
What does the wattage have to do with it? I thought that's just a calculation based on the load resistance and current?

Status
Not open for further replies.