Making Gerber Files

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Seems like I keep coming back to this. I haven't given it up, just haven't figured it out either. I wonder how hard .svg files would be to convert to true Gerber?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I tend to have a set of personal standards for traces. Similar to this...

100bt.gif 100tt.gif

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Everyone (excluding Wendy), lets get one thing straight, "PCB Express" and "Express PCB" are two completely different PCB programs.

Wendy, I recently went on a Gerber conversion program search.......... and failed. I wanted to go from modern Gerber to old HPGL. It appeared to be easy. Vector to vector. Lots of hits on google. Long story short, when I went to make it happen, none of them really worked or were miss-represented. There is no money in vector-vector conversion programs.

I suggest you see this as an opportunity /:D:p/ to choose a new path into your PCB future /:D:p/. Just learn a new PCB program that outputs Gerber. You will be much happier then chasing conversion program windmills.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Either name is suggesting of a quick PCB, and are different enough to pass copyright muster. I still get them confused myself.

So would other programs like DIP Trace allow me to define a new set of pad patterns I wonder?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
DipTrace for sure does allow you to change pad size. The problem is if you refresh the PCB from the schematic, you reset the pad size. I suppose the right way to do it is to change the pad size on the component.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
...............So would other programs like DIP Trace allow me to define a new set of pad patterns I wonder?
If you mean a custom part, (pads, planes, silkscreen..) I think most all current programs allow you to do this. I am an active user of ExpressPCB and use Copper Connection to invert images and create Gerbers.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is also what used for my board. Then I touched up the traces and pads to suite myself. Since I mostly DIY I stick w/ single sided.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
Another issue I can foresee with trying to convert gif to gerber is that even if one is successful at that, there's still the matter of where to drill the holes, and which ones to plate. If I'm going to pay a production house to fab the board, drilling the holes is generally included, and they would do a better job than I could, anyway.

I have used DipTrace, but never released a board with it. I did make a board with Design Spark. The software is free, and generates a Gerber package, including Excellon format drill file. With much trepidation, I emailed the package to a Chinese manufacturer, and the boards came back exactly as designed, no trouble.

DesignSpark will let you make custom parts, with custom pads, although the pad choices are limited to round, oval, and rectangular (possibly with rounded corners). If you want something weird like a hexagonal pad, you could do it, but would have to draw it from basic copper fill shapes. In the plot below, the big round thing in the middle is a custom toroidal transformer with 13 leads.
ptc_layout_2.gif

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I had suspected as much. In the long run I may have to write some conversion software for myself.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
DipTrace is actually a suite of four interconnected programs: one for drawing schematics, one for laying out PCBs, one for designing components patterns (AKA footprints), and one for designing component symbols for use on schematic drawings as well as associating the schematic symbols with component patterns. Component patterns and schematic symbols are contained in "libraries," and there are many predefined libraries for both. However, all predefined component patterns and schematic symbols can be modified to any extent the user desires, or the user may design completely new component patterns and schematic symbols and store them in user libraries.

In short, DipTrace has no shortage of features and options to suit the needs of even the most discerning user. I used ExpressPCB and liked it, but after learning DipTrace, I recognize that ExpressPCB is extremely limited.

There is a free version of DipTrace for non-commercial use; it is limited to two layers and 500 pins. I bought the "Lite" version (which is also limited to two layers and 500 pins) because I use the program for commercial (i.e., for profit) work.

Last edited:

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
I had suspected as much. In the long run I may have to write some conversion software for myself.
Sounds like you are not as lazy as you suggested in a previous post. That would seem to be a major piece of effort, writing a converter. If you find it fun, more power to you. But I think it would be easier to just keep your legacy designs in the old format, learn a modern board design package, and going forward, using software that will output Gerbers. Only if you need to send a board out to commercial fab, would you re-enter the design. Or get some high school kid to do it, who might consider it fun.

By the way, nothing against the free DipTrace, but DesignSpark is free, and has no artificial limitations on number of nets, board size, etc.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Sounds like you are not as lazy as you suggested in a previous post. That would seem to be a major piece of effort, writing a converter. If you find it fun, more power to you. But I think it would be easier to just keep your legacy designs in the old format, learn a modern board design package, and going forward, using software that will output Gerbers. Only if you need to send a board out to commercial fab, would you re-enter the design. Or get some high school kid to do it, who might consider it fun.

By the way, nothing against the free DipTrace, but DesignSpark is free, and has no artificial limitations on number of nets, board size, etc.
I've been using ExpressPCB for a while now and have been thinking about migrating to a more advanced (but still free) software. The main reason being that I think pretty soon I'll have to have quite a few boards manufactured for me. Can DesignSpark export my designs to standard, commercial formats for this purpose?

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
I've been using ExpressPCB for a while now and have been thinking about migrating to a more advanced (but still free) software. The main reason being that I think pretty soon I'll have to have quite a few boards manufactured for me. Can DesignSpark export my designs to standard, commercial formats for this purpose?
I only had the one design, so am far from an expert in Design Spark. All I can say is that I passed the package of files generated by it (listing below) to the fab. The fab had no complaints about it, and the boards came back fine. Apparently, the file names are descriptive enough for the fab to do the right thing.
ReleaseFiles.gif