Making an extremely small and thin square video camera.

protos

Joined Jun 27, 2015
Hi, I am in the process of designing and building a really thin square camera that records video and saves it to a micro SD card at a 720 - 1080p quality. I drew out a blueprint of what this project might look like.

I have browsed the web a bit and stumbled upon various different types of micro DVR spy cams. One thing they all have in common is a basic chip with a, camera, SD card intake, Power charge port (through some cable), a power switch, a record on/off button, a lipo battery, and finally a record light. I would like to learn how I can build my own. I found this video of someone actually taking apart one of these micro DVR cameras. It is called the y3000, Link, and here is the video of the y3000 taken apart Link. The y3000 is actually the smallest camera ever built! This is basically what I want to build except a little smaller and much better quality.
I found a site that sells extremely thin LIPO batteries although I am not sure if these are even which one I would need: Link
I also found a site that sells the camera from a smartphone. I know most of these cameras are able to take 1080p what which would I need if any?: Link
While the camcorder does need to have a charge port, micro SD slot and two buttons ect. i looked around but I couldn't find a site the pieces that I am looking for. There are just way to many options. I have never actually done any hardware development before although I am very familiar with software development (javascript to be exact) although I am familiar with a soldering iron so that shouldn't be an issue for me.

I am here to learn about how I would make something like this, what parts do I need, and is this project even feasible?

Thanks for the help!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Let me get this straight. You want to make a camera yourself that is smaller and better than the smallest camera ever built. And do so with no experience in hardware development and only some familiarity with a soldering iron.

How many hundreds of thousands of dollars are you willing to sink into this? I'm serious. That's at the low end of the spectrum for something like this.

As for the claim that it is the smallest camera every built, I don't know what their metric is. It weighs 71g. We designed and built a deep-IR video camera that literally weighs 1/10 of that (7g) -- and most of that is the f1 IR lens.

protos

Joined Jun 27, 2015
Sorry for the false claim. I was going off of what the people selling the camera said without doing enough research on that part, my fault. When I drew the layout I was basically trying to just throw out what I believed would be semi-easy to make. I am not here to make the worlds best camera I am just trying to learn about the hardware side of development while making something feasibly close to what I drew. It was sort of like a rough estimate. Thanks for your answer it seems like you cleared up that this project in general cannot actually work. I guess I am going to have to come up with something that is a bit more realistic or maybe learn from a different way!

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm not trying to quash your desire to built something and learn a lot of stuff along the way. But don't let yourself make the rather common mistake of thinking that because something is cheap that it is easy to make. The companies that make those things invest millions and, literally, billions of dollars into developing and building the machines that make it possible to manufacture something so complex so cheaply that it can be sold for that low price while still allowing everyone along the way to make a profit.