Making an Electric Door Lock?

raziiq

Joined Dec 15, 2008
Hi there

I am very new to electronic projects. I am really interested in making my door an electric One. I mean i have got my room door which locks/unlocks with a key, but i want to lock/unlock this with my Computer.

I can do the programming part, but making the hardware is a problem for me. I need some guidelines on how to start doing this? DC Motors may be?

Its ok if i have to make the lock from the scratch.

Any Suggestions ??

jut

Joined Aug 25, 2007
too start out, and to keep it simple, you may consider a solendoid implemented as an "external deadbolt".

raziiq

Joined Dec 15, 2008
thanks for the reply, but that flied over my head. I just know the basics of Electronics, i am very new to all this stuff. Can you please give me a little detail about it?

jut

Joined Aug 25, 2007
This is what I meant by external dead bolt (i don't know the actual name):

http://www.efanlock.com/files/Door_Bolt.jpg

A solenoid is a metal rod inside or outside of a coil of wire. When a voltage is applied to the coil, the rod is either flung out of the coil, or pulled in. It depends where the rod was to begin with. Door bells have solenoids to perform the whacking of a bell with the rod. Also relays have solenoids inside them. You can also make one yourself.

Anyways the solenoid could push or pull the rod (aka the dead bolt) in or out.

raziiq

Joined Dec 15, 2008
thanks.

But the question is how to make this possible? Even if i get this kinda Door Bolt from somewhere, how can i make this door bolt move in or out?

jut

Joined Aug 25, 2007
Use your imagination. Make sketches. Brainstorm. Nobody is going to give you the exact plans so you'll have to come up with the exact design on your own.

Do you have tools to fabricate your possible design?

You may consider finding an auto wreckage yard and tearing apart the electric door lock mechanism--it uses a solenoid most likely. See how it works, adapt it, or use it.

raziiq

Joined Dec 15, 2008
Ya my imagination pushed me for this project thats why i am here to find help. I know this thing can be done, but how to do is a problem.

I was thinking of moving that Solid iron bar inside that lock up and down with some something (DC motor may be) but how is again a question.

Can you forward me to some project like this which can help me understand stuff

jut

Joined Aug 25, 2007
i don't know of any specific projects. try googling for it.

with this forum, more often than not, you need to ask specific questions about stuff or else your questions will not get much response. people here don't want to engineer an entire solution for you, but they, and me, would happy happy to help you along the way.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
You will have to use a DC (+12 volts) solenoid or something that can be battery powered, since if it is powered off of the mains (AC), when you loose power you will be locked out of your room.... or a small stepper motor will also work, but it will have to overcome the fact that the deadbolt will be dragging on the surfaces creating more friction and possibly jamming the motor from moving......

So you have a few things to consider before starting out,

1. Power requirement
  2. Wireless or wired control from PC
  3. Motor or solenoid (go here for solenoids or motors >> http://www.macmaster.com, and other sliding lock mechanisms)
  4. Should you integrate it to a keyed lock in case there is no power you will have a manual override.
  5. Sketch of what you want to do (Circuit would also help)
My .02