Making a wireless switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by stoopkid, Mar 8, 2013.

1. stoopkid

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2011
    What would go in to making one's own very basic HIGH/LOW wireless(radio) switch? Could it be done for cheaper than tearing apart a $10 wireless doorbell or something like that? What exactly would need to go into the most basic form of this idea?

Thanks.

2. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    You could make a wireless switch with an IR receiver, a transistor, and a few other components. Then you could use a junk remote control to make it switch. That's about as cheap a way as I can think of.

3. stoopkid

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2011
    That would be the cheapest but I meant specifically radio switching so that I can do out of line of sight stuff.

4. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I've seen numerous builds from a wireless doorbell, that would appear to be the cheapest.

Unless, of course, you buy a bunch of those 433MHz, el-cheapo Tx/Rx pairs and a microcontroller to utilize them, but that's just a bunch of work;)

5. stoopkid

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Say I was still motivated to try it myself, what might I want to look into to get it started?

6. absf

Dec 29, 2010
  7. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Just in case you dont like to program a PIC. There are encoders and decoders specially designed to encode and decode the RF 315/433 Mhz modules. They are PT2262 and PT2272 chips. The datasheets of these chip will tell you how to hook them up. The completed products are also available..

http://www.escol.com.my/Sensors.html

There are also simple kits that would operate a relay when the transmitter is pressed.. In this kits only simple chips like 4011 and LM567 are used.

http://www.escol.com.my/kits/ES-031.html

The above are just some examples that you can easily get by Googling. Motorola also makes the encoder and decoder chips for the remote control modules but I forgot their part numbers. Just do a search and I'm sure you can find them easily.:)

Allen

8. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    $10 is pretty inexpensive, unless you are making many of these. For the $10 you are getting a item that already has been proven to work. All of the trouble shooting has been done for you, and that some times is no small part of a project.

If you need many of these buying one and copying the circuit MAY be cheaper in the end. IF you consider your time as a zero cost.