Making a small water cooler

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I got two peltiers, size around 1" X 1".

Is it possible to make a beverage cooler or may be a water bottle cooler.
You know to make it stay chilled all day long.

Any Idea's on how to build the container.
The size can be any maximum a 1.5L water bottle. The ones that are selling to hikers and the likes.

Jack Puddin

Joined May 4, 2011
There are a couple things to keep in minds when using a peltier,
1.) The faster you can cool the hot side the faster you can really chill the cold side. Hard to tell how large of a heat sink you need because the size of a peltier doesn't negotiate the heat throughput.

2.) There is a limit to how much heat a peltier can transfer. Kids who don't do their homework find this out fast when they try to stick this on top of a CPU in a PC.

Let me know the specs of your peltier and I'll try to help ya out.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Have acouple of 12V coolers that use peltiers, I dont use them any more as they are verry poor performers in ambient temps above 35Deg C. Here in Australia Ok in winter nogood in summer.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I have couple of huge 478 coolers, I can use em to cool down the hot side..
I'll take out pelt's and draw some specs soon.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Yea, the heatsinks with fans work great (don't forget the thermal compound or thermally conductive adhesive) and the bigger the better even if they overlap the Peltier chip size by quite a bit.

Used to be a guy on eBay that sold them in all sort of sizes, he will also "cheat" eBay a little and sell them on the side even cheaper but I believe he actually has a live storefront so fair is fair.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I have the arctic silver, courtesy of rm.
But what do I use on the cold side, Equatic Silver.

Hee hee hee,....I made a funny.

Seriously !! How can I increase the cold temp transfer same as heat disperse techniques.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've owned a commercial unit. You need a fan for the hot side, and the cold side needs a shaped chunk of aluminum to press closely to the can or bottle. The idea is to suck the heat in as fast as possible (or to put it another way, make that cold surface touch as much of the can/bottle as you can), and pump the heat away from the hot side with air as quickly as possible. Insulate the rest of the can/bottle.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
i believe I am going to have one power sucking mini freezer soon.
Which by the way is not that efficient