Making a phone charger with my existing batteries

shredofme

Joined May 16, 2013
Dear All,
I have 4*18650 batteries, so my nominal output voltage is 4*3.7=14.8 DC
I want to convert this voltage to a USB compatible (5.25 to 4.45 V and 1000 mAh)
By definition I can use a buck (step-down) converter as it is a DC/DC converter. I looked at Texas Instrument website (following link) and ticked the specification required and here is what I have got:
TPS51427
TPS59650
TPS51427A
http://www.ti.com/paramsearch/docs/parametricsearch.tsp?family=analog&familyId=661&uiTemplateId=NODE_STRY_PGE_T&DCMP=hpa_pmp_tps4306x_en&HQS=regulators-pr
Having looked at their datasheets they don’t match my problem (wrong components).
Am I in a wrong route?
Could you help me what to pick? Is a buck converter a good idea?
Thanks
Update: it seems that I had ticked Buck controller instead of buck converter.This time I ticked Buck/Boost converter and Step-Down (Buck converter) with my desired input and output voltage and got 210 components.
Which one to pick again?
Peripheral question: what is Vout2 (min) for?
Thanks

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Dear All,
I have 4*18650 batteries, so my nominal output voltage is 4*3.7=14.8 DC
I want to convert this voltage to a USB compatible (5.25 to 4.45 V and 1000 mAh)
By definition I can use a buck (step-down) converter as it is a DC/DC converter. I looked at Texas Instrument website (following link) and ticked the specification required and here is what I have got:
TPS51427
TPS59650
TPS51427A
http://www.ti.com/paramsearch/docs/..._T&DCMP=hpa_pmp_tps4306x_en&HQS=regulators-pr
Having looked at their datasheets they don’t match my problem (wrong components).
Am I in a wrong route?
Could you help me what to pick? Is a buck converter a good idea?
Thanks
Update: it seems that I had ticked Buck controller instead of buck converter.This time I ticked Buck/Boost converter and Step-Down (Buck converter) with my desired input and output voltage and got 210 components.
Which one to pick again?
Peripheral question: what is Vout2 (min) for?
Thanks
Instead of building one why don't you use an old car charger and work from there...