Making a clock with JK flip-flop

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by sambageek, Jan 7, 2013.

1. sambageek

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Hi to everybody, I'm trying to realize a digital clock with only JK Flip flop. I supposed that I have to make 6 systems that are counting from 0 to 9
    I need to have something like this with my hex display : HH-MM-Sec
    I want to know how I can connect all the systems for making them active, reset like in a real digital clock.

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Well... the 10's digit for seconds and minutes only go up to 5, and in the hours it only goes up to 1 or 2.

Using a JK flip flop for this is a curious choice as it is the most inappropriate choice possible. Is this a homework assignment?

And I'm not even going to mention this section is for programming computers and not wiring together logic gates. Oops, just did. Dang.

And welcome to the forums!

3. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    There are many, many, many ways to go about this. The first thing you need to do is lay out exactly what you want. It is no where near enough to say something like "reset like in a real digital clock". I probably have a couple dozen different digital clocks around here by the time I count the ones in the cars and my cell phone and my computers and in the bedrooms and such, and I'm pretty sure that no two of them behave the same way when it comes to setting them. So you need to think about EXACTLY how you want your to behave and then specify EXACTLY that behavior. You can always change your mind if you decide you made a bad choice, but until you have SOME choice, you will simply flounder around.

As ErnieM already said, putting this in the Programmer's Corner was an odd choice. It sounds like it belongs in the Homework Help forum or, if it is not an assignment of some kind, it should probably be in either the General Electronics Chat or forum or The Projects Forums. It would get quite a bit more attention over there.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The TTL 7490 and 7492 basically show the way. Look up their logic.

I am moving this thread to a more productive forum, where it will match better.