Making a 3 way switch using triac

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mamech, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mamech

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Hello Everyone

I have tried to do action-like 3 way switch using 2 transistors an pnp and an npn.

But I am asking about the simplest way that I can do the same with a triac.

I think I will need 2 triacs to do so.

Thanks

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I need a lot more information. Can you provide a schematic style drawing of your circuits?

3. mamech

Nov 3, 2010
    Ok I will explain what I want to do:

see :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiway_switching

See the schematic of traveler system.

Actually I want to do this traveler system, but using a triac (or more), and one 3 way mechanical switch.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I don't have a clue about what you want. The purpose of the traveler circuit is to allow people to turn a single load on or off from several locations. (ps, you can put as many 4 way switches in the circuit as you want.) If you change the switch contacts into triacs, how will people switch the load on and off? Plug a triac in to a socket?

totally confused.

5. mamech

Nov 3, 2010

no, the control to the triac wil be from a microcontroller.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    It's the 4 way switch that isn't easy, right?
    There are all those AC signals and what to pick for ground, and how to make the 4 way switch bilateral, and there's no way to do this with only 2 triacs...

I don't know how to do that in less than an hour, and my biggest personal problem with modern electronics is "replacing simple circuits with microprocessors so they can't be repaired".

Will some other helper please take over here? I'm having an attitude problem.

7. mamech

Nov 3, 2010
    Picking a ground is not a problem, I will use an optocoupler as interface between micro and triac, so the AC side is isolated from DC side