Making 4-bit ALU with full adder and 8x1 mux

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by tersun, Apr 14, 2014.

1. tersun

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    i have some ideas but its not working. i need some fresh ideas. There are 2 hour for design this alu and lesson.

Waiting for your help.

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    ...we are waiting for some information...namely, your work.

3. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Well, since it has been more than 2 hour, I guess you don't need any fresh ideas any more.

If you do, then post YOUR ideas and YOUR efforts first.

4. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Thought the OP already failed that class.

5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I think that was a test. Now he's apparently going for the whole thing.

6. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    look up 74s181 ALU for design on a 4 bit alu with adder functions. it was popular at DEC, NCR, and others. just paralell up as many as you want for more bits.

7. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I don't think that's gonna help him much because he has specific constraints (use an adder and 8:1 MUX) whereas the datasheet for the '181 shows only a gate-level implementation (at least the data sheet I found).

On top of that, he is asking for help designing something without providing any specifications. What functions is this 4-bit ALU supposed to support? What are the control signals?

But it doesn't matter because the two hours is long past, he's taken the F on the assignment (unless he found someone somewhere else to do his work for him) and since the assignment is over and he doesn't actually care about learning anything, he has moved on -- hopefully to an exciting career in the rapid nourishment service sector of the economy.