make pcb from drawing

Evanguy

Joined Dec 21, 2014
hi, im trying to make a pcb drawing from a curcuit diagram then convert that into gerber files so i can get a few pcb's made. part of my curcuit has 50w going through it. and im not sure/have no clue on trace size or thickness. size isnt a concern but the smaller tue less it will cost. so i dont want to go to over board on size. ill upload a pic of the drawing and i would like your input/help. im very new to this and need some guidence. if somone wanted to make an eagle pcb board drawing i would be very greatfull.

the drawing is in the first post of this thread. thanks http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/injector-driver-circuit-improvment-or-good-to-run.106614/

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I charge $50 an hour for design work, but I would gladly help you correct any problems you encounter with YOUR design for free.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Fraid not.

Try some other PCB project for here, then do the other on your own.

Automotive is not allowed.

Evanguy

Joined Dec 21, 2014
im sorry, i should have been more clear. this is for a stationary personal project to get me into electronics. i find its easiest to learn when your dealing with somthing of great intrest to you.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The best way, I think, is to use a package for making the schematic that then has "schematic capture" to make the board. There are several free programs available for doing that. I currently use Eagle 7.2 and have used Eagle since 3.x. IMHO, 7.2 is trash -- even some mainstream PCB manufactures note that it doesn't work and ask that you use a different version. So, if you go the Eagle route, use anything from 6.5 to 7.1. (Anything from 6.xx was quite stable, as I recall.) KiCad is another freebie that is popular.

Your schematic appears to have a lot of errors that a schematic capture program will balk at. Most notably, you have some wires overlapped, but not connected.

John

Evanguy

Joined Dec 21, 2014
Thanks kermit2 ill try making my own and ill come back and post it. i would love some input on it when the time comes.

jpanhalt thanks i didnt realize you could do that. i started using kicad and making my drawing in that i hope from the schematic i can make a pcb board drawing, ill look more into this capture thing.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The "capture" thing doesn't make the board for you. What it does is give you all the components and connections. You move the components around and do your own routing. Some people use autorouting. I don't. The main advantage of schematic capture is that the program will tell you whether the board design and schematic are consistent.

John

Evanguy

Joined Dec 21, 2014
ok, thanks ill play around with it. i think i know what you mean. it just allows you to not have to start from scratch but you still have to place your components where you want them. ill try auto routing to see how tt looks then ill try doing my own. when i look at the drawings they lok confusing. it may be two or three layer ones im looking at. ill check some single layer oards

Evanguy

Joined Dec 21, 2014
so i tried to make one and got confused, maybe i would be better off with eagle buti cant figure kicad out very well or it just doesnt seem to work with me, im sure if i spend some time with it i could get it figured out, but instead i desided to mkae the board myself, i was toying with the idea of copper plating my phenolic board and doing it right but instead i just made my own traces using resistor lags i cut off.

i got it made, i didnt test it yet but i hope to today.

Black is ground
Red is from the injector
Blue is +7-12v
White is 5v pwm

here pics

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
For what it's worth, if you do want to try schematic capture and pcb design again, I recently switched from Eagle to Diptrace, and I love it. Haven't found any features lacking, and it's 100 times easier to learn. It also has a free version for non-commercial use.

Evanguy

Joined Dec 21, 2014
^^yes i have read good things about diptrace. i plan to download it and give it a try, thanks. also it was fun making my own board but would love to be able to make real printed ones.