make LED flasher , with ON off functions

athulascc

Joined Aug 15, 2014
I need to make LED flasher. that contains one push button.

when I press push button LED turn on.
Next press it flash 1HZ
Next press turns off.

can I do this using 555 or 556?

or do I need to go for micro controller.
can you suggest me cheapest way to do this?

thanks

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
I need to make LED flasher. that contains one push button.

when I press push button LED turn on.
Next press it flash 1HZ
Next press turns off.

can I do this using 555 or 556?

or do I need to go for micro controller.
can you suggest me cheapest way to do this?

thanks
Sounds like you could do this with a dual flip-flop and a 555, that might be the cheapest option just compared to a processor based solution, but a very small processor might win it depends on what you are including in the costing, eg pcb? assembly costs? programming costs? operating power supply?

athulascc

Joined Aug 15, 2014
I am considering the power consumption and the cost. since I am going to mass product it, I consider it. I use 2 CR2032 batteries

athulascc

Joined Aug 15, 2014
Do you have a projection on quantities and target max component cost?
I am considering the efficiency and cost. also since I use 2* CR2032, I have 6v. but I am not sure it will work well when battery discharge. so i hope to go for 3.3v logic . is 555 ic work with 3.3v? and cd4017?

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
I am considering the efficiency and cost. also since I use 2* CR2032, I have 6v. but I am not sure it will work well when battery discharge. so i hope to go for 3.3v logic . is 555 ic work with 3.3v? and cd4017?
How is this a response to my question? Why quote me if you are just going to ignore what I wrote?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You can use a lot of uC, being programable they will fill most of the bill by themselves. You will have to write code and program each chip, which is another issue.

athulascc

Joined Aug 15, 2014
I have seen many cheap devices with Black Dots. I guess it is uC. (eg: calculators, watch) actually is it cheap way? how can we do it?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Those 'black dots' are 'chip-on-board' ICs. They are proprietary custom-built devices. Cheap per unit if you want to order them by the million!

athulascc

Joined Aug 15, 2014
can I find CD4017 , 3.3V logic Ic, I tried to find, but I couldn't. I need 2bit decade counter like 4017 but no need 10 outputs. only 4 enough. and need to work in 3.3v. can I find ?

athulascc

Joined Aug 15, 2014
or. if I can find 3 way push button, great. that is the best way I can do it. but unfortunately 3 way self push buttons are not seems available. :(

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
The switches you mention aren't very low cost and obviously size isn't an issue.
A 4017 is a counter which I assume you think you need to get a low frequency pulse why not use a 7555 alone?
You appear to have decided on a multi-position switch rather than a flip-flop solution.
4017's will work down to 3V as will many cmos chips including 7555's.
I think you need to show a schematic to really identify parts.

athulascc

Joined Aug 15, 2014
I have idea how to use 4017 with 7555 ic. I hope to use push button as pulse to 4017 and connect 4th output pin with reset.
so 4017 count upto 3 with push button. so 1st stage is off, 2nd stage on, 3rd stage flash.
I use 3rd pin to enable 7555 flash circuit.

since I use 2*CR2032 batteries I am not sure it will function well when battery discharges.
if I have mechanical switch thats great. but need push type.

so what is your ideas?

will circuit work upto 3V?

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
I have idea how to use 4017 with 7555 ic. I hope to use push button as pulse to 4017 and connect 4th output pin with reset.
so 4017 count upto 3 with push button. so 1st stage is off, 2nd stage on, 3rd stage flash.
I use 3rd pin to enable 7555 flash circuit.

since I use 2*CR2032 batteries I am not sure it will function well when battery discharges.
if I have mechanical switch thats great. but need push type.

so what is your ideas?

will circuit work upto 3V?
You are obviously way out of your depth, you need to learn some electronics before you try to take something into production in any way. Perhaps you should pay someone to design what you want rather than trying to do it yourself as there's a lot to think about when you create something to sell reliably. If you are really looking at large scale production you need low cost and reliable.