make attachment points for enclosure

jarwulf

Joined Jul 7, 2013
Hi, I got an enclosure box that I want to make attachment points for but I don't feel like drilling just yet. Basically I want something cheap that will make stable hoops that can be glued on that I can hook carbiners to and make into a strap that will carry the enclosure. Any suggestions and links? Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Depends on the weight etc, the most simplest is tie-wrap enclosure attachments, these use double sided tape, and if left to set for a period, become quite solid, but a two part adhesive system may be the more durable if the enclosure is going to get any abuse.
What is the weight/material of the enclosure?
Max.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
- Drill a hole through enclosure
- run a zip-tie (plastic or stainless steel)
- fill holes with Bondo body filler
- add accessories to zip-tie

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Two-part epoxy works well on most plastics that don't feel slick like Teflon. Another option is 3M VHB - Very High Bond tape. Thin foam tape with very aggressive adhesive.

For either one, roughen the surfaces a little bit, make sure they are clean and dry, apply the adhesive, let sit for 24 hours.

ak

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
…that don't feel Lick like Teflon
Do you mean "slick like Teflon"?

I've used two part epoxy on very slick plastic successfully. I had to glue plastic Easter eggs, and that plastic is like nothing else in the universe. Permanent marker isn't. Most glues don't. However, five minute epoxy worked for me.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
- Drill a hole through enclosure
- run a zip-tie (plastic or stainless steel)
- fill holes with Bondo body filler
- add accessories to zip-tie
Agreed, what was what I would have suggested for a fast way to get something that will last. I probably would have used hot melt glue or silicone to glue the cable ties in.

I think that idea is much better than just glueing somethign to the outside of the enclosure, you need mechanical security to the loops, once you start talking about attaching to carabinas.