Make a wall adapter based charger circuit for a 9V battery (cell)

ahmedrmalik

Joined Jan 2, 2016
Greetings, everyone.
I'm working on a project and my circuit is powered using a 9V rechargeable battery. I want to make a circuit in the project that would allow me to charge that battery using a wall adapter, without disconnecting the battery from the circuit. What I want is that when i connect the wall adapter to the device (battery), the battery starts charging and is disconnected from the circuit. When I remove the adapter, the battery gets connected to the circuit again. The batttery must not be removed physically from the device.
Kindly suggest what kind of circuit and design I need.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Often the battery is just left connected to the circuit when it is being charged.
Why do you need to remove it?
Can the circuit be either On or Off when charging?
Can this function be performed by the adapter connector being plugged and unplugged?

ahmedrmalik

Joined Jan 2, 2016
Often the battery is just left connected to the circuit when it is being charged.
Why do you need to remove it?
Can the circuit be either On or Off when charging?
Can this function be performed by the adapter connector being plugged and unplugged?
I'm sorry i might have wrongly phrased. I dont want to remove the battery. Yes, the battery will remain connected to the circuit at all times. My requirements are same as a mobile phone. We connect a mobile phone to a wall adapter, the battery starts charging. If the device is OFF and the adapter is connected, the battery keeps charging while device is OFF. I need to implement this.

ahmedrmalik

Joined Jan 2, 2016
Put the battery across the adapter terminals, and then take the feed to your project from the battery..
In this case, when my project is being used with the adapter connected, the battery will be charging and the project will be running too? Wont the project consume the battery's power in this case? I dont understand how the charging will work like this. Can you please elaborate a little for me?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The charger will be of a higher voltage than the battery, so it will charge it at the same time as powering the circuit.