make a one button usb mouse from scratch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by panfilero, Oct 8, 2010.

1. panfilero

Thread Starter Member

Mar 12, 2009

I would like to make a button, that functions like the left click button of a mouse, and hooks up to a computer through USB...

ideally, if it could be wireless that would be awesome

but I can't even figure out what I need to make the wired version of it... I've tried googling this but can't find anything, does anyone know what compenents I would need to make this happen, what kind of IC takes in a click and sends it USB... or how does a computer even recognize that a mouse is plugged into its USB port?

any help would be much appreciated,
    much thanks!
  2. bertus

Apr 5, 2008
  3. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    You could always go with a microcontroller with build in USB. PIC has quite a few. You can also buy the pic32 starter USB board that has a mouse demo on it. Its like $50 or you can grab em on ebay for $25
  4. panfilero

Thread Starter Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Thanks! that's kinda along the lines I was thinking, some kind of microcontroller project, do you know what requirements I'd need from the microcontroller? or would pretty much any of them work as long as they had a USB connector?
  5. hspalm

Feb 17, 2010
    You will have to provide the actual USB connector in your final circuit. The microcontroller just supports the USB connection type.

On the Pic32 starter kit you can explore some of PICs microcontrollers, using leds, buttons and a USB port to get to know a microcontroller!
  6. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010