Maize Fields wild animals problem !!

olvine

Joined Mar 10, 2014
@MrChips, Basically I liked this word 'olivine' when I was in 12th standard and in chemistry. And then it becomes olvine :p Now I use this instead of my real name.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
@wayneh, Goat can scare those pigs ?
I don't know, but I bet there is some animal that can. You need to know more about your adversary.

Know thy enemy...
- Sun Tzu

“Whenever you are confronted with an opponent. Conquer him with love.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

The point of that one is that you want the pigs to be happy to go elsewhere. You may not need to kill them or even to scare them. Make them WANT to be somewhere else. How?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

I was going to suggest IR sensors, as they detect body heat so i think they would work on animals like that too (mammals).
You'd have to test i guess, and im not sure how many you would need either to cover the entire area of interest.

Another practical problem that comes up is no matter what kind of alarm you use when it goes off it will wake you up anyway. If the animals come a lot that could be hard to deal with. Maybe you and yours can take turns on the night watch.

Any chance you can dig large holes or trenches that they would have difficulty getting past?

Also, it is common to use traps when animals are a problem like that. For such large animals you might have to dig holes and cover them with something they would think would be stable, but when they walk on it they fall in. Your dinner for the week is then secure :)

Bait is always an idea. If you can find something they like to eat better than corn you can set up areas with bait where they would go when they first come close to the farm. Once you have them going to a certain smaller area or set of smaller areas, it will be easier to detect them because the detection range will be much smaller.
Animals usually have a favorite food. Mice love peanuts. For these pigs hopefully it is not corn :)

Last edited:

olvine

Joined Mar 10, 2014
Thank you for the these suggestions.

I am studying these PIR sensors and I have come to know that the available modules or simple sensor got very less range of detection, like 5-6m maximum. I need to cover at least 30m so that we can be alarmed timely. I think some combination of lenses would enhance the range of detection. Any idea about that ?

Trap is not an option. We can't take hostages :p
And we also don't eat them. :)

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
They sound like some mean critters.
http://www.dawn.com/news/698111/hogs-going-wild-in-pakistani-capital

Wish I could help but the only we could stop feral pigs in Texas (near Waco) was to shoot them dead, it's open season.

Texas allows hunters to kill wild hogs year-round without limits or capture them alive to take to slaughterhouses to be processed and sold to restaurants as exotic meat. Thousands more are shot from helicopters. The goal is not eradication, which few believe possible, but control.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/a-plague-of-pigs-in-texas-73769069/#4bTTbzDclvVtYO7w.99

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I didn't flip through all the Smithsonian pages, so I apologize if the problems in Texas and elsewhere were mentioned. One of my daughters lived in Houston, TX. Feral hogs not only destroyed the playgrounds and soccer fields, they were aggressive. I believe Texas allows unlimited hunting. Here is a 500# example shot in NC: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-carolina-hunter-bags-massive-wild-hog/

That is what I meant about using a dog. It would have to know not to attack -- just like using dogs to sense raccoons.

John

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
How much this dog costs ?
I have no idea:) But did see a TV show with people using them to hunt wild boars, pretty impressive.

What is the wild pigs in your area favorite food? It may pay to plant that food separate from your crops to attract them, then a good fence around your corn. Kind of a "defense by distraction" strategy.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Having been raised on a farm...corn is a hog's favorite food. :( Any other food source planted anywhere near the corn field, with the idea of distracting the wild hogs is a very, very bad idea. A physical barrier is the best defense. Dogs to alert you is a good option. Fence the field with something that would keep dogs in, even if it won't keep hogs out. The dogs then will be where you want them to alert you. Guinea fowl have been used for centuries as an alarm of intruding animals or people.

Ken

Chalma

Joined May 19, 2013
I hate to say it but a previous poster mentioned shooting a few. I don't believe in waste though so if you can eat the pig after the deed is done all the better. Another alternative, is to put some poisoned feed out there. It does not need to be killer poison, something to make them sick for a while should suffice (i.e. garlic, soap). I'm really don't think any electronic device will work (unless you make an automatic turret pellet gun). Pigs are INCREDIBLY smart despite what people think and they will always find a way....

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My uncle-in-law used to raise geese for market. He would hatch the eggs and then rent the goslings to cotton farmers to eat pests during the season, and then collect and sell the fattened young geese at the end of the season. His only costs were for eggs and gas for the old pickup he used for transporting them.

My point is that geese might make a decent warning system and possibly a deterrent, all the while living off pests. They are territorial and not afraid of a scuffle. I'm not sure how you contain them.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
In the US the universal solution around farms is shooting the animals, nothing else works with a animal as smart as pigs.
The crops losses are enormous back home so in Texas even machine-guns from helicopters is legal to deal with the population.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Favorite foods of animals is a tricky topic. For example, a common belief is that mice love cheese, so any mouse traps should be baited with cheese. But actually they love peanuts better and will pass on cheese for the peanuts, so baiting a trap with a peanut will attract them even more.

Pigs like a ton of different foods, and to find out their true favorite you'd have to do a test or two.

Dogs are relatively cheap, and almost any kind will bark when another strange animal comes near. But as i mentioned before, that's going to wake you up anyway so it is probably better to take turns watching at night.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi,

Favorite foods of animals is a tricky topic. For example, a common belief is that mice love cheese, so any mouse traps should be baited with cheese. But actually they love peanuts better and will pass on cheese for the peanuts, so baiting a trap with a peanut will attract them even more.

Pigs like a ton of different foods, and to find out their true favorite you'd have to do a test or two.

Dogs are relatively cheap, and almost any kind will bark when another strange animal comes near. But as i mentioned before, that's going to wake you up anyway so it is probably better to take turns watching at night.
Agree completely. Peanuts for rodents and the like. It is a problem for automobiles that use "green" electrical insulation made from peanut oils.

Groundhogs, a scourge in rural areas, will also go into a live trap without bate. I have used cantaloupe as bate, which is pretty good, but after catching one, the droppings attract others. Got three big ones in the last three days. Only problem is, .22 ammo is getting scarce.

John

olvine

Joined Mar 10, 2014
Thank you all for these suggestions. These were very informative.

I have another solution in mind which is according to our needs and it is very simple.

Laser lights and LDRs. This will cover the perimeter and will tell us that something is crossing the fields and it will alert us. It will be like a fence around the field. It is cheaper than electrified fences and easy to install. After this we will move to some other solution in which one night vision camera will do the work. But that is something big and complex. But for the time being we are staying with this Laser light and LDR.

This solution will only alarm us nothing more. We can't stay up all night and guard the Fields.
Cheers. :)

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
This solution will only alarm us nothing more. We can't stay up all night and guard the Fields.
The biggest problem will be false alarms. What other critters are roaming around that might trip the sensor? The beam needs to be high enough not to trip from animals smaller than your pigs. If you can restrict the number of places the pigs enter it will make your sensors easier to install. The sensors need to be in "zones" so if one is tripped you don't have to search the entire perimeter to find the culprits.

A true example:
My father worked at a greenhouse where they were having problems with intruders. They set up a light beam that went from a hole in the wall of the boiler building across the parking lot and to one of the greenhouse buildings.

They were getting alarms that mainly happened in cold weather. It turned out that the owners cat would go into the warm boiler area using the hole that the light beam went through. I think the solution to this was a window over the hole.

They were also getting a lot of false alarms set off by stray dogs. I don't remember what the solution was for the dogs.