Mains Load Current and Voltage Measurement

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by aneeshmp200745, Feb 24, 2010.

1. aneeshmp200745

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    plz any one can help me to design a circuit using pic microcntroller to measure mains voltage and load current without using current transformer or volage transformer. actually i wish to measure with pic microcontroller's internal ADC ,so how can i convert this mains voltage and load current to DC plz suggest me a good circuit or good link
    thanks in advance

2. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    If you are not intending to use any galvanic isolation between the mains and measurement sides, how do you propose to make your system safe?

aneeshmp200745 likes this.
  3. aneeshmp200745

Feb 24, 2010
    BUT SIR ITS just for demo model just to work for an hour thats enough
    can u help me

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Without isolation it is DANGEROUS.
    All of the circuit will be connected to the mains.

Bertus

5. aneeshmp200745

Feb 24, 2010
    okie then how can i build galvanic circuit for isolation purpose
    atually i need to measure mains supply and load current and i need to get it as analog quantity
    can i use optocoupler ????
    and i dont to how to convert this to DC i tried to rectify with traditional bridge recifier but its not getting done
    any one plz help me

6. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
  7. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Perhaps you could provide a specification of the anticipated voltage and current you want to monitor.

I'm not sure why a simple rectifier for the voltage component didn't work. You should be able to do that part quite easily using a relatively cheap step down transformer with a secondary side rectifier plus some capacitive filtering to obtain your scaled equivalent DC term for the AC voltage. Maybe you might also need a resistive divider to scale / range the input to your micro-controller.

Provide some more information about the AC current term and you might get some further suggestions for a cost-effective solution.

8. aneeshmp200745

Feb 24, 2010
    sir actaully i need to build a prepaid energy meter using rfid so the mains voltage 230v and current need to dispaly on lcd ,im using pic microcontroller for this purpose so how can i convert these parameters to analog quantity so that i can directly take this to pic microcontroller usings piCs internal ADC and calculate power consumption plz help me sir

9. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
    The simplest solution is to use an energy measurement IC. Such as ADE7753, or another from the same family http://www.analog.com/en/analog-to-digital-converters/energy-measurement/products/index.html. There are also other sources, such as Microchip.

If you are going to design your own system, make sure you consider the power factor, linearity and the range of measured current. A power meter has to be accurate from low current, in mA range up to maybe tens of amperes.