Magnifier Lamp reco's?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sbixby, Aug 1, 2012.

1. sbixby

Thread Starter Active Member

May 8, 2010
    Alas, my eyesight is slowly aging, like the rest of me.... :rolleyes: I wear single-correction contacts and my vision is correct for normal viewing, but my focus range is diminishing. I'm not yet willing to go with bifocal correction, so I use mag lamp/visors for close-up work.

I have a cheapo mag lamp... and a ... yeah, cheapo again... visor. The lamp only has pivots for the base and the head, so moving it in/out of the view is a hassle. The visor annoys me from distortion of the small field-of view, probably because it's a cheapo; I'd rather have a lamp.

I'm tired of half-baked tools, so I'd like to find some recommendations for a solid, decent-quality articulating-arm magnifying lamp with a good magnification levels for the primary purpose of working with circuitry - down to SMD level for the occasional task (probably not terribly often).

I am not sure what magnification level would be preferred, as I don't even know what mag level this cheapo lamp is. For the really small stuff I can probably use a second lamp or visor, or ideally a lamp with multiple lenses available.

Can someone point me at some good lamp brands & models? I don't mind spending for good quality, but at the same time I appreciate good value. There's a myriad of junk out there, so I was hoping for some pointers to the "real stuff".