Magnetic Strips

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by maxpower097, Jan 22, 2011.

1. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I just wanted to point out their are hundreds of uses for magnetic strips. VIP cards, membership to club stores, Drivers licenses, CC's, gym memberships, grocery rewards cards, hotel door keys, and on and on. I know you guys don't want to talk about magnetic strips but to call the guy a credit card scammer then close the thread was a little much. For all you guys know he's curious about the outgoing technology. And may be planning a business to take all these card readers and writers and start putting them in 2nd and 3rd world companies or hotels. I just think you guys sometimes come down on people too hard as if you know what they are thinking or something.

2. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Also most people not in technology refer to magnetic swipes as Credit cards so he may not have been wanting a credit card but the swipe info on the strip and didn't know what to call it. Personally I take sand paper to my license as soon as I get it so the cop has to type everything in. Its gotten me a few warnings that should of been tickets.

3. tom66

May 9, 2009
  4. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I think the mod (Been There??) was using his gut to determine to close the thread. I was just engaged in a PM with a forum member over a similar topic.

Much advice is sought on this forum. Most of it is obviously very harmless, at the most a danger to the OP of that thread and the OP would be told so. But some information could be used for nefarious reasons, from simple theft to far worse.

I agree that something like a card reader could be used for all kinds of legitimate purposes but I think that discretion needs to be used when giving advice. If something does not feel right about the post then it is probably best just to leave it alone. But again good judgment needs to be used because you certainly don't want the type of forum where all information is withheld, then there would be no need for the forum at all.

5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    I think when he said he wanted to do it from 50 meters was a give away.

6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Wasn't there some news story about a year ago that showed kids with a notebook getting CC numbers from RFID enabled "swipe" credit cards? They had to be within 5 or 10 feet, and it was buggy, but it worked. Not sure where I saw it, maybe on youtube there's an archive.

7. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    There is nothing in the recent thread about 50 meters. He just wanted to read cards at home.

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    He was as focused as a laser beam on the subject, and wasn't wanting to learn anything else. You can buy what you need as kit form, but that wasn't what he wanted.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?p=323286#post323286

Post #6

9. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Gotcha, by the time that was posted it looks like that had been edited out or he was in numerous threads. Just seemed a bit harmless of a thread to lock, but I didn't see his other threads.

10. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I merged some of his threads, so it looks as if it are two threads.
    I closed the threads as it was reported as possible attemp to fraud.

Bertus

11. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I think I am missing a complete post, but it had... specifics....

My Bad.

12. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Yes, you are right.
    I "blanked" it out, due to the very specific information.

Bertus

13. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Sorry about that. I'll think before posting sensitive stuff in the future.

14. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    I used meters instead of feet. I was going from memory. Bill reposted the excerpt from the thread. My bad:)