Magnetic Stirrer Hot Plate

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by FriscoBradford, Jan 8, 2015.

1. FriscoBradford

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 8, 2015
    I would like to build a magnetic stirrer hot plate. I do not want to use a 12v pc fan, the web is full of such designs and unless your stirring hot water it does NOT work well. I plan on building one use a pwm from amazon(RioRand Upgraded Adjustable DC motor speed PWM controller,10-12-24-30v 120w with reversing switch. $10.99)Probably more then I need, but gives me more options motor wise. Then I was planning on using a 12v 1500 rpm motor, that should run at 1500 rpm at 12v and max watts, allowing me to slow it down to about 150rpm's =/-.(12vDC1500RPM high torque motor by amico $13.14) I already have plenty of rare earth magnets and am sure I can fabricate the other parts. The issue is that I would also like it to be a heated magnetic stirrer and am not sure how to accomplish this. I have heard I could accomplish this with a ceramic electric thermo cooler along with a DC controller to adjust the power to the TC. It had also occured to me that I could possibly take a hot plate and modify it to be a stirrer as well. But to do that it would require a hot plate and knowledge of it. For the record I am ordering the parts from amazon.com because of a few gift cards that I need to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated, even more so if you can provide the part #'s from amazon! I have access to a large collection of dc wall plugs in all type's of amperage, I am waiting to get that last to make sure it has enough power for the whole thing. Although I have a few gift cards, ultimately I would like to be able to get it done for under $40-$50 total. Thanks for your time and all advice. Bradford

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Do you have any reference or link to an example of what is involved?
    Max.

3. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Pie in the sky thought: A disc large enough to fit over heater with wheels running on single rail track with magnet on top surface which makes close non contact with flask. Stiring element = steel ball. Rim or belt drive of disc??

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    What's wrong with the many commercial choices?