Magnetic logic gates

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
That is really cool!

I must say, I really love looking at stuff to do with electronics from that era. The whole "unknown" - where will the electronics of tomorrow be?

They did not know wether or not transistors, magnetic logic, or whatever would be king. Just lots of research into so many beautifully interesting areas.

I'm itching to get to university. I want to do something.

And no. Differential equations do not count.:p

Great video. If I had an account I would subscribe.

I think you could do with making some videos. ;)

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Very interesting indeed!

I think you have been aware of it though, it's the rest-magnetism any ferromagnetic material holds after being subjected to a magnetic field.

Just a little comment to the statement "the flux doesn't increase anymore when the core is saturated"

When the core saturates, i.e the B-H curve flattens out, it is NOT really flat. B continues to rise when H is increased. It's explained here: http://info.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Workshop/advice/coils/mu/ or a little more in detail here: http://arxiv.org/ftp/cond-mat/papers/0210/0210657.pdf

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Magnetic cores were the memory of choice when I first learned programming (FORTRAN -1962). Yes they did retain their contents when the power was removed.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Then there was the magnetic bubbles of the 80's, they were vaguely similar to SD card, but the data was read sequentially as the bubbles were shuffled inside the device.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Yea, I just think it's cool that in lieu of silicon a properly wound transformer with the right hysteresis properities and a couple basic components can form things like an inverter or an AND gate.
It knowing how to do it on a whim would be a good skill to have

I could only imagine looking in at a computer mainframe in a parallel universe and seeing rows and rows and rows of little transformers :D