magnatizer "zapper"

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mazur50, Feb 16, 2007.

1. mazur50

Thread Starter Member

Feb 5, 2007
    does any one know how to make a capacitive discharge ceramic magnet zapper

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Probably, but how appropriate is this project? Please embellish on your ideas otherwise I feel this may be straying a little out-of-bounds.

Dave

3. mazur50

Thread Starter Member

Feb 5, 2007
  4. mrmeval

Distinguished Member

Jun 30, 2006
    What is it used for?

5. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    It looks very nice, but I am a lost to see what you are trying to achieve, and sadly the link does not help any. The reason I am quizing this query in this way is that we have certain rules on the suitability of the requests and advice given here at AAC.

Dave

6. mazur50

Thread Starter Member

Feb 5, 2007
    The reason i ask is I race slot cars and would like to make a magnitizer. so when i rebuild my motor i can re zap the magnets.

thanks
    Mike

7. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    If I'm interpreting Google results properly, ceramic magnets used in the motors of slot-cars are frequently re-magnetised (colloquially called "zapping") to maintain good performance. I don't know why rare earth magnets are not used, but it seems to have something to do with sportsmanship.

I didn't dig up any info on how "zappers" work, but I suspect a nice strong electromagnet with small gap in the magnetic circuit would do the trick. "Capacitive discharge" makes me think one of these would be similar to a coin-shrinker or a coilgun.