magic electromagnet problem

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dougalere, May 4, 2015.

1. dougalere

Thread Starter Member

Mar 4, 2015
    hi.
    finally got round to 'finishing' this pick up /drop project, works well apart from the fact that the electromagnet does not release when the power is turned off due to residual magnetism.
    i have got it to release by desensitising the poles with a bit of insulting tape but this is not entirely ideal.
    i am thinking of reversing the coil polarity at release somehow?
    any suggestions appreciated.
    thank you
    dougal

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Post the schematic of the coil driver.

3. dougalere

Thread Starter Member

Mar 4, 2015
    hi
    i have revised slightly, the coil is now at the collector,the base resistor has been replaced with a 1ok pot.
    IC2 is an op amp.
    thnk you
    doug

4. dougalere

Thread Starter Member

Mar 4, 2015
    supply voltage is 4.5 volts, 9volt was found to be too high causing overheating
    L1 THE ELECTROMAGNET IS LABELLED as 1 henry, this is a typo.
    the transistor is a TIP 31
    current around 500 ma

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  5. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
    Try a 100 uF capacitor across the electromagnet. When the transistor cuts off, the resultant oscillation of the capacitor-inductance will demagnetise the electromagnet.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    This is how it is done in most commercial lift magnets, a short reverse shot releases any load that remains attached after a lift.
    Max.

7. dougalere

Thread Starter Member

Mar 4, 2015
    thank you
    i think this is solved in a roundabout way, i am using this to pick up a small nut and bolt -the holding force was fairly close to the residual force, by turning up the holding force and using a heavier nut and bolt it works perfectly, so i guess im swamping the residual force.

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    You are probably swamping the residual force by using a reverse polarity, but you may reach the point where the residual is now reversed which then returns to the same problem?
    Max.