Magic and Illusion

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Wow I skimmed through the intros pretty fast but I can tell you guys right now I'm no crazy mathematician or scientist. I'm a 23 year old Magician who is starting to learn electronics to incorporate into new cutting edge magic.
Its a pleasure to be here.
I've dabbled in the Art of Illusion myself. Mostly as a kid, but I still know some pretty good tricks.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! I have a feeling it may be difficult for us to answer some of your questions as I assume you don't want to give out the full information on the trick. The best thing for you would be to plan out your approach so that you can give as much information as possible without giving anything away. From there, I hope we can help you get the answers you're looking for ;)

Regards,
Matt

P.S. What type of Magic do you specialize in? Close-up? Stage?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Wow I skimmed through the intros pretty fast but I can tell you guys right now I'm no crazy mathematician or scientist. I'm a 23 year old Magician who is starting to learn electronics to incorporate into new cutting edge magic.
Its a pleasure to be here.
You can awe both engineers and common-folk alike, since electrical engineering is regarded as a black art among other engineering disciplines and magic is well, magic.:)

How long have you been a magician? Seems like a dying art these days... too bad...

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
You can awe both engineers and common-folk alike, since electrical engineering is regarded as a black art among other engineering disciplines and magic is well, magic.:)

How long have you been a magician? Seems like a dying art these days... too bad...
Well somebody's gotta put the magic smoke into the electronic components!

reaxbeats

Joined Mar 22, 2013
I've dabbled in the Art of Illusion myself. Mostly as a kid, but I still know some pretty good tricks.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! I have a feeling it may be difficult for us to answer some of your questions as I assume you don't want to give out the full information on the trick. The best thing for you would be to plan out your approach so that you can give as much information as possible without giving anything away. From there, I hope we can help you get the answers you're looking for ;)

Regards,
Matt

P.S. What type of Magic do you specialize in? Close-up? Stage?
Well that sounds great Matt I really appreciate it!
I specialize in close up working on my stage magic so I can get more paying gigs lol.

I'm working on an effect where I can wire up this kit http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/TINY-IR2.htm

The transmitter on a watch or something that seems normal on my wrist with a mercury switch that sends a signal to the receiver that's pinned on my jacket which in turn will run a small DC vibrating motor... lol can't say anything more

In theory this sounds easy for a beginner like me but I really don't want to mess anything up lol.

reaxbeats

Joined Mar 22, 2013

I've been a magician since I can remember but I'd say a pretty good one since around 13 yes old lol

reaxbeats

Joined Mar 22, 2013
I've been a magician since my waist was big enough to support pants. pseudo-magician of course.
Ahh the art of magic is deep and vast and impossible to completely master as is everything..
I can safely assume we are all pseudo-everythings in life but learning
As much as possible is what makes it all worth it!

I've been a magician since I can remember but I'd say a pretty good one since around 13 yes old lol
Question for you.

I had an unfortunate experience on stage when our Lighting and Effects guy talked me into allowing him to place a small Flash Powder effect in a Guitar.

The flash was detonated by remote and because of it I had to say goodbye to a very dear to my heart Gibson Les Paul Sunburst which was damaged beyond F'n belief...never mind EXTREMELY VALUABLE.

Damn guitar was worth more than Dave's...my...former...Light and Effects guy's Home. It had absolutely PERFECT intonation.

Question is...what type or name of Flash Putty....flashes red orange?

Split Infinity

reaxbeats

Joined Mar 22, 2013
Question for you.

I had an unfortunate experience on stage when our Lighting and Effects guy talked me into allowing him to place a small Flash Powder effect in a Guitar.

The flash was detonated by remote and because of it I had to say goodbye to a very dear to my heart Gibson Les Paul Sunburst which was damaged beyond F'n belief...never mind EXTREMELY VALUABLE.

Damn guitar was worth more than Dave's...my...former...Light and Effects guy's Home. It had absolutely PERFECT intonation.

Question is...what type or name of Flash Putty....flashes red orange?

Split Infinity
Ahhh the inconsistencies of flash powder. I try to not use pyrotech as ists so limited in venues. I try to stick to paper tech or something that won't scare my venues owners.
Now about hour Gibson led Paul sunburst... omg that is the worse story ever... I can't find a reason to ever listen to that guy especially since I've never even heard of flash putty..

I know there is flash paper that lights up green and good old regular flash powder/paper that just burns red...

Now that I think of it my old collection of flash paper burns orange if its old...

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Looks like it should work. If you got the kit, the FET that is supposed to increase the transmission range would work well for a small motor on the receiver instead.
It doesn't look like it comes with a PCB so you would have to use stripboard or make a PCB which would be smaller than making it on stripboard.

If this is for stage magic, remember todays CMOS video cameras will "see" the IR should someone be videoing your act.

Ultrasound might be an alternative with the same decoder.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
If this is for stage magic, remember todays CMOS video cameras will "see" the IR should someone be videoing your act.

Ultrasound might be an alternative with the same decoder.
That is 100% correct...But it has to be pointed at the camera, and it has to be fairly close..A good catch none the less.;)

Ahhh the inconsistencies of flash powder. I try to not use pyrotech as ists so limited in venues. I try to stick to paper tech or something that won't scare my venues owners.
Now about hour Gibson led Paul sunburst... omg that is the worse story ever... I can't find a reason to ever listen to that guy especially since I've never even heard of flash putty..

I know there is flash paper that lights up green and good old regular flash powder/paper that just burns red...

Now that I think of it my old collection of flash paper burns orange if its old...
I consider myself a Tough Guy but I will tell you I shed a TEAR after I saw what this Flash Putty did to my Guitar. I was wasted at the time I agreed to let him do it and this stuff was a yellow Putty that was placed in a shaped capsule under the strings pointed out. He told me the worse that could happen is my strings would get discolored but this stuff EXPLODED in what I can only describe as Magnesium hot burning only Red Orange in color.

I FIRED his ass and as he will no longer speak to me I wanted to call the company that makes this stuff and find out if he was LYING about it's nature.

I have had a few mishaps with effects on stage and one other in particular was when these two cannon like pipes that point straight up at the edge of the stage did not go off. Dave had his lackey fill them after they didn't go off as he believed another had forgotted to drop the can shapped charge in as this lackey was nowhere to be found during the show.

We have Explosive Charges, Ball Flame Charges and Manesium Flare Charges which when used correctly are safe as long as the ceiling is high enough. The problem occured when Dave placed a Ball Flame charge atop an Explosive Charge.

The pipe and charges are designed and detonated by electric charge that is sent by wire and around the circumfrence of the can like charges is a metal strip as well as on both the top and bottom of these can like charges are a metal bumpout like a battery positive end...as they are on the top and bottom as to be IDIOT PROOF if someone drops them in the pipe rightside up or upside down it will not matter and the sides metal connect touches the metal lining on the inside of the pipe as the outside is heavy Industrial Plastic.

The one problem with this is if two charges are in the pipe...they will BOTH detonate together in a electrical signal is sent. The first Explosive Charge did not detonate as a connection was bad and as Dave had jiggled the connection it was connected for the second attempt as he had a second Flame Charge dropped in and since the show was ongoing it was impossible to see in the pipes...now we had a wooden dowel that checks depth to determine if a charge is in or not!

The Pipes were detonated and the Explosive Charge sent the Flame Charge shooting all the way up as it was shot to the metal ceiling of this outdoor venue. The Fans went NUTS as they thought it was all part of the show but the venue crew was FREAKING as it caused an upper Cat Walk to catch Fire!

Long story short...we didn't make that much money that night as thousand went to the repair costs as it was on us and our Insurance did NOT cover it as they deemed it Improper Use of Pyrotechnics. They would have covered any costs of Injury and other associated liability but we chose not to pay the extra costs to have the insurance to cover Damage Liability to a venue as the Venue always has insurance to cover this but when such things occur...if you ever want to play there again you just pay up knowing the Venue will be double dipping.

Split Infinity

reaxbeats

Joined Mar 22, 2013
I consider myself a Tough Guy but I will tell you I shed a TEAR after I saw what this Flash Putty did to my Guitar. I was wasted at the time I agreed to let him do it and this stuff was a yellow Putty that was placed in a shaped capsule under the strings pointed out. He told me the worse that could happen is my strings would get discolored but this stuff EXPLODED in what I can only describe as Magnesium hot burning only Red Orange in color.

I FIRED his ass and as he will no longer speak to me I wanted to call the company that makes this stuff and find out if he was LYING about it's nature.

I have had a few mishaps with effects on stage and one other in particular was when these two cannon like pipes that point straight up at the edge of the stage did not go off. Dave had his lackey fill them after they didn't go off as he believed another had forgotted to drop the can shapped charge in as this lackey was nowhere to be found during the show.

We have Explosive Charges, Ball Flame Charges and Manesium Flare Charges which when used correctly are safe as long as the ceiling is high enough. The problem occured when Dave placed a Ball Flame charge atop an Explosive Charge.

The pipe and charges are designed and detonated by electric charge that is sent by wire and around the circumfrence of the can like charges is a metal strip as well as on both the top and bottom of these can like charges are a metal bumpout like a battery positive end...as they are on the top and bottom as to be IDIOT PROOF if someone drops them in the pipe rightside up or upside down it will not matter and the sides metal connect touches the metal lining on the inside of the pipe as the outside is heavy Industrial Plastic.

The one problem with this is if two charges are in the pipe...they will BOTH detonate together in a electrical signal is sent. The first Explosive Charge did not detonate as a connection was bad and as Dave had jiggled the connection it was connected for the second attempt as he had a second Flame Charge dropped in and since the show was ongoing it was impossible to see in the pipes...now we had a wooden dowel that checks depth to determine if a charge is in or not!

The Pipes were detonated and the Explosive Charge sent the Flame Charge shooting all the way up as it was shot to the metal ceiling of this outdoor venue. The Fans went NUTS as they thought it was all part of the show but the venue crew was FREAKING as it caused an upper Cat Walk to catch Fire!

Long story short...we didn't make that much money that night as thousand went to the repair costs as it was on us and our Insurance did NOT cover it as they deemed it Improper Use of Pyrotechnics. They would have covered any costs of Injury and other associated liability but we chose not to pay the extra costs to have the insurance to cover Damage Liability to a venue as the Venue always has insurance to cover this but when such things occur...if you ever want to play there again you just pay up knowing the Venue will be double dipping.

Split Infinity

So you're in a band. What sort of music do you guys play do you have anything online?

reaxbeats

Joined Mar 22, 2013
Looks like it should work. If you got the kit, the FET that is supposed to increase the transmission range would work well for a small motor on the receiver instead.
It doesn't look like it comes with a PCB so you would have to use stripboard or make a PCB which would be smaller than making it on stripboard.

FET?
I'm guessing some sort of range extender?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009

Split Infinity
A friend on mine was at Mc Nichols Arena. During the show he jumped up onto the speakers and was hanging off the speaker and rigging. Something that was part of the show. Well the road crew had forgotten to bolt down the rigging and the rigging and speakers fell on him and almost killed him. Since then he does back up stuff, indie stuff, movie soundtracks etc..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-mdx_ucJvQ

and a lil trivia he was hired by Mark Walbergs manager to do all his vocals and music in RockStar with Mark W. And Jen Aniston. Was an on set consultant. Notice the band in the movie is Steel Dragon, His band was Steel Heart. Then look em up on youtube and listen to the voices. Play a steel Dragon song from the movie, then play a steel heart song. Its so obvious its him its pathetic. I remember this was all secret when making the movie and after it came out. I think he had a no speak clause for 5 years of something. I know he can talk about it now but when it was going on and contracts were being written it was all hush hush.

Last edited:
So you're in a band. What sort of music do you guys play do you have anything online?
Yes...I play and tour internationally in a band and I have toured with Aerosmith, Heart, Staind, Motley Crew, Robin Trower and many others.

I am getting older so I do not do long tours anymore but I do tour every year and I no longer need the money. My touring was a reality that was used in another...JOB...that I still do on occasion that involves me working with members of the U.S. Military as what is a better excuse for visiting a country than to be on tour?

I am trying to retire from this...JOB...but I am needed and I keep on getting sucked in.

We were big in the 80's and 90's and now I have been in studio for a while working on something I feel proud of. We do have a web site and we even have our own forum but I find talking on it a bit uncomfortable as Fans are posting and chatting and when I go on there it feels like patting myself on my own back.

I own a Recording Studio and it feels so different these days as the days of massive sound boards is gone replaced by computer screens displaying recording and effect software that allows us to choose the exact sound processing forms of any song or artist for any part or entirety of a recording.

Our music nowdays is very original but there are influences of Zep, Rush, Sabbath and Classical elements.

Because of security concerns I do not give out any information of who I am as to do so causes all sorts of issues.

Split Infinity