Machines that creates a hole.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lightfire, May 24, 2011.

1. Lightfire

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Hello,

I am so wondered :)D) how some guys do create a hole. For example creates a hole in a wood so they can put for example a led.:D

Because I want to put some leds in wood but i dont know how to do that. because i dont know any machines that makes a hole. :)

Um, I guess, I want a machine that creates a hole which can adjust the size of a hole. :)

pls. help

Lightfire

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    How about a hand drill and different drill bits ;) You can find computer controlled equipment/machines That can du such a job. But they cost about the same as brand new luxory car:eek:

3. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brace_(tool)

That is the old school way of making holes. When people provided the motor with their muscles. Electric drills are used in modern times. Drill BITS are the small piece that is turned at high speed and does the cutting in wood and metal object.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Nothing came up on my end in Wikipedia. Ah, found it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brace_(tool)

Drills and drill bits are the usual way. If you can afford it a drill press and vise is better. The vise will keep the work from tearing up your hands, not a minor consideration (all power tools can be dangerous if not used properly). This is something your Dad needs to show you.

When I was a kid my Dad had a mechanical drill, it had a handle that was a largish gear. Look ma, no motor!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill

The Wiki article refers to it as an egg beater drill.

5. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    But I want something that is adjustable. :) For example, i can make a big hole for my push button switch. :)

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Adjustable is changing the drill bit. Drills and drill bits are the way it is done by the vast majority of people, unless you are really rich and have a high power laser. Read the Wiki articles.

You can also use a punch out tools, but guess what? It uses drills and drill bits to make the center hole.

7. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    Okay. :):cool:

8. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I once has access to something called a "stepped bit" which has 1/16" increments.

Depending on how far you push it in determins the hole size, but only in thin stock.

link to a typical example

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Just mentioning though, it is still a drill bit.

One more word about safety.

Do not try to hold work you are drilling with your hands, especially if it is a project box.

Use a vise instead.

If the work slips free it can gash flesh, break bones, or remove body parts like fingers. I've done the gash flesh thing, sometimes you have to learn by experience. Larger work (like large boards) this isn't as much as a problem, as the size and mass of the material provides some protection.

If you have them, wear safety glasses.

I am assuming an electric drill here.

10. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    To add to what bill said, if you have a large piece of wood anchored well and there is significant torque (rotational force), and the drill gets stuck, and rather than spin the wood, it will spin the drill... hard.
    This is especially important to remember if you use metal, as it is much more likely to do this.
    I've hurt my wrist more than anything else. (on a side note, axes are not for digging...)

Someones probably going to scold me, but I find safety glasses excessive when just drilling a hole in wood. However, I DO wear them if I'm working with metal, or anything else that spins fast, like a dremel tool (another good tool to have, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dremel, basically it's a tiny drill that spins really fast), or a circular saw, or a chop saw, or a drill press, or anything air powered. Air may sound harmless, but it can seriously hurt you.

11. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    If you drill wood, it is a good idea to put a scrap piece of wood on the other side, where the hole will be drilled, in order to prevent the drilled wood from cracking in the other end.

12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    And for Pete's sake don't drill into the table under the wood/metal!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. But I did it when I was LightFire's age. :rolleyes:

13. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    Yea, our kitchen table has a couple (dozen) dents in it from the pinewood derby days :D

14. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    It is possible to obtain tapered cutting tools, sometimes described as "reamers", which can be used to alter the size of holes. They are really only suitable for enlarging slightly under-sized holes already drilled in thin materials, and they leave the holes with tapered sides.

Some engineers take a dim view of such gadgets, others find them convenient for use when the right size of drill is not to hand. This link shows the sort of thing I mean - note that there are other types of reamer which are unsuitable for this sort of hobby work.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...YWqDw&sqi=2&ved=0CEsQ8wIwAA&biw=1366&bih=610#

These things are made of hard, sharp steel by the way, and quite able to cut you, so are only to be used with adult supervision.

Whatever tools you choose, remember that a hole can always be made bigger, but not smaller. Don't be in too much of a rush to get the job done, or you may find that the holes are too big - then you have problems.

15. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    But they still use a drill motor to work. Notice a trend here? :D

16. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    The reamer I referred to is a hand tool. It must never be used in a power drill, as it is likely to break, and may cause serious injury.

17. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Hello, Lightfire you haven't told us if you have access to any sort of drill?

There are other ways to cut larger holes.

One basic method is called trepanning. Plumbers use a variation of this called a tank cutter which is adjustable.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&xhr=...=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=1dc22afbb2c8f216

The big advantage of such tools is that they will operate in both directions, unlike 'twist drills'.

You can even hand operate them without a drill at all. Just make a bow (as in bow and arrow) from a bent stick and a length of string. By taking a loop or two round the main shaft with the string you can turn the trepanning chisel back and forwards round and round until it cuts through.

go well

18. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    I know what your referring to, but a ream is a necessary tool for a machinist. A drill, no matter how well it's sharpened, will not drill a round hole. For precise fits, a reamer is a must. Holes are drilled slightly undersized, then reamed to finish. Hand held reams as you've linked to, are widely used to 'break' the sharp edge of holes.

19. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    FWIW, that bow thing is called a bowdrill, and it can also be used to start fires (It takes some patience though)

20. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    I don't know if my parents will give me a permission to do this kind of job.:DMy dad did not allow me to use soldering gun after he saw that it is smoking. He is afraid that it might hurt me.;)But I appreciate him then.:)

OK, now please give me a good machine (Oh, i mean handy tool not machine) that creates a hole. I want a neat hole. :D I'll use it for some of my projects. just for example, if i will put my switch. :D