Mabuchi japanese motor PWM help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ChrisChemist116, Aug 4, 2010.

1. ChrisChemist116

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Hi everybody,
    :)
    I came across this japanese Mabuchi motor EG-530YD 2BH (12V) to experiment with PWM.

But i found it has four terminals. A, B, plus (+) and negative (-). Its quite obvious that the plus sign means the power input and the negative the common /GND.

But how about A and B terminals?. I found really very few information about this motor, it seems all is on japanese.

The question is very simple. What are those A and B pinouts and how i do use them?.

Thanks in advance

Note. I found the datasheet of this motor (can't remember exactly where i found it but its not in Mabuchi's site at the moment), however it is not helpful on specifying more data about the A and B terminals. Anyone interested taking a look on it?:rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The stuff at the link suggests that the motor has a speed control circuit built in - <snip>

Nothing about the pinout, though. Try metering the pins.

Scratch that. The + & - are pretty obvious. It may be that a ground on A or one on B select the speeds. This may be a poor motor to experiment with, as it only wants to go one way (the control circuitry will go up in smoke if you reverse the polarity) and the speed control may die if a PWM waveform is applied.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Be cautious of this link. I just picked up "Antivir solution pro" trojan. Can't be sure it was this link that did it but it could have been.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    My Firefox did not see anything. Guess I'll have to run a scan (also running Avast!).

5. ChrisChemist116

Mar 13, 2009
    Thanks about the site you mentioned, i reviewed it but nothing found about the A and B. As you say it seems they belong to the speed control, but i can't be sure about it, where did you found this information?.

It seems as you told, that only goes one way i just hooked up to a 9V battery and it goes to the left. I haven't tried to reverse the polarity. (i suspect it will have awful results).

Will i get any valuable data if i meter the pins?. if so, which ? A to GND and B to GND, or between them? That's quite confusing.

I haven't got any warning (and i do use Norton Internet Security , may be not the best though:rolleyes:).

How about PWM on this motor, will it blow up?. Anyways thanks afterall.:)

6. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I'm running avast too. "antivir solution pro" is nothing to do with them, just an impersonator.
    It's a right pain. Just about to go to safe mode and follow the instructions.

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Ditto here. Avast.

John

8. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    I didn't see anything with Norton 360 from either link.

9. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The link indicated that the motor was intended for use with tape drive systems, and could be operated at 2000 or 4000 RPM through the speed control circuit inside. No information was given about the pins.

The OP might want to experiment.

10. ChrisChemist116

Mar 13, 2009
    Aside from this trojan histeria . . .

Except ... (As i do also use Norton and didn't see anything)

i want to thank everyone interested on giving to me a hand on this.

Yes as the datasheet indicates it seems this motor is to be used with tape drive systems but still no further details indicated. ´

I dont know if anyone here dared to use other ways to gather information. Such as to use other search engines like the ones in east asia like baidu (chinese), naver, nate and daum (korean), goo (japan). It may be a challenge, but i feel you get better odds using these sources when it comes the time to look about these kind of things.

Anyways far from that cosmopolitan point of view i do have, when i search what seems cryptic and exotic ...

i did metered all the pins in resistance mode, although i must quote these results were using an analog multimeter, quite a decent one . However i must buy a new one. Any suggestions?:rolleyes:

All relative to GND
    (+) about 90 ohms
    (B) 500 ohms
    (A) 10 Kohm

I applied 12Volt to each pin, and it seems it comes in two speeds as mentioned. In the plus (+) side gives full power, and on the B side gives some sort of half power and on the A side gives no power at all, i mean there is movement coming from the motor but it is really very slow and it almost needs physical help to start.
    Is this a good behavior? Maybe this motor has been damaged or i am mistaking the A pin as a N.C.

I took some pictures. (Sorry my camera doesnt have much resolution, just for identification only)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. ChrisChemist116

Mar 13, 2009
    Well... :)

It seems i mistaken the pinouts once again, or at least this is what friends from japan tell me. It is such motor is to be used for cassete recorders and there are some instructions on how to hack it on this website

http://showa-cassettedeck.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2008/04/index.html

Sorry about this translation i did my best...

Pins A and B are tied to a potentiometer about 10Kohm (recommended) and the speed will change from 2400 rpm to full power. Sankyo/ Mabuchi models have this configuration as well, the use is to change the tape speed using fixed resistors 3K ohm and 5kohm. Multi turn cermet can be used as well.
    --end

The rest talks about mechanical characteristics of the tape recorders and the brushed and brushless motors.

I added a couple of pictures also featured on this site if anyone like me, is interested as well. I did some experimenting with the speed as suggested in the site. Sorry again about the quality, my camera is not that good.

I included a picture of what it seems to be the inside of one of such motors with what it seems to be a built in PWM, but can't tell if it is that way or not.

From Italy... they say this motor it moves in counterclockwise direction (which is true i tested it) and they include the datasheet.

I have to mention that their PDF scan has more or less resolution than the one uploaded to imageshack, its up to you to decide which one you can see better.

At this time the page seems to be blocked or cannot be accesed but the site has a direct link to the datasheet PDF.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ype-EG-530YD-9BH.asp&cd=1&hl=es&ct=clnk&gl=pe

http://www.tekkna.it/product/20289/MICROMOTORE-CC-9V-Antiorario-type-EG-530YD-9BH.asp

http://www.tekkna.it/open2b/var/catalog/product/files/982.pdf

I did a schematic of what was written in the japanese website for anyone might be interested as well on this motor.

Forget about the accesories shown in the breadboard as the fixed regulator, led, the microcontroller and the transistor, i unplugged some things from a project i was working on before.

The potentiometer in the middle is totally isolated from the other devices and is tied to the motor as shown in the schematic, as i did it quickly i used a 9V battery. The speed changes as mentioned in the japanese website.

However at this moment i am not sure if this is the official configuration for this appliance.

Suggestions, ideas, whatever are welcomed.:rolleyes:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Maybe i will need to require to contact Mabuchi for further details.
    Anyways thanks everyone.