mA driven proportional hydraulic solenoid

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Andrus, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Andrus

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Hi,

I have one project in mind and main problem is how to control it.

drive signal( 0,25-4,5 V ) from potentiometer will need to adjust another movement. second position is controlled with another potentiometer.
    Movement need to be done through hydraulic cylinder. Cylinder movement made by hydraulic oil flow and driven by electric proportional hydraulic valve.
    Proportional valve is current driven and spring reacting .
    In real life solenoid works with 400-900mA and its current coming from special controller. systems working with 24-28 VoltDC. and sensors are
    0 - 5V DC

I need to build relevant controller from scratch , because there are 4 different hydraulic driven movements. Also many position controls. Basically I have all hydraulic and mechanical knowledge and also fair amount of electric.
    I understood, that I need to use automation controller for this task but I do not know exact starting details. Basically: signals I have are analog ( INPUTS) and I also need DC current output, ( Also ANALOG)
    I looked at SIEMENS LOGO controllers, but its inputs are mostly DIGITAL or Digital can be used as ANALOG and usual outputs are relays or digital or transistor. Of course, there are exspansion modules with analog input and output. My special question is it and how possible to drive with digital controller output signal on ranges 400 - 900mA current output

Please guide me which controller to use or from where I can find especially current driven solenoid schematics.

Any questions, comments,more explanation needed just let me know

Thanks !

Andrus

2. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    you might want to further explore the complexity of the relationship between input and output, if you go with micro controlled algorithms or simple opamp configurations. Conditioning your I/O is simply choosing your isolation (if implemented) and your drivers.

3. Andrus

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Thank You for quick reply.
    I choosed microcontroller because this is very complex system.I am total rookie in digital system and understanding in detail how PIC / automation controller work. I would like to get practical guidelines what to use or how someone else did this project before.
    I understand that there is lot inside programming in controller, but my main question is how create really powerful ( about 5 to 20 Watt) and precise & fast current driven output for solenoid coil.

Any links from where to search deeply and study or ebooks more than welcome. :)

Thank You again !

Andrus

4. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    My suggestion is to google controllers that would be applicable to your concept. I work with several proportioning systems and have found driver schematics online for each of the systems.