M.O.T. Tansformer Questions

mustashi113

Joined Dec 22, 2008
I am new to this but here it goes>>>

I hooked up a MOT just to play with it 120 volts to the primary and shorted the secondary to ground And yes I got a fair Arc

From reading about them,the voltage is pretty High coming out of it about 2000 volts ... 1000 ma ..Is it A.C. or D.C current coming out????

If it's A.C. can I go thru a bridge rectifier to get dc ?

Here is what I'm striving for :

Final output : 36-48 volts D.C. @ 3-5 Amps

What can I do to get this output

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The 2000VAC or more at the high current from a M.O. T. can easily kill you.
If you rectify 2000VAC then you have pulsing 2,827VDC.

Since you want only 36-48VDC @3-5A then buy a 30VAC/7A transformer, a big full-wave bridge rectifier module on a heatsink and two 12,000uF capacitors in parallel. Its output at full load will be 40VDC/5A.

mustashi113

Joined Dec 22, 2008
Since you want only 36-48VDC @3-5A then buy a 30VAC/7A transformer, a big full-wave bridge rectifier module on a heatsink and two 12,000uF capacitors in parallel. Its output at full load will be 40VDC/5A.

I'm kinda new to electronics but can u give me a poor mans schematic of Your suggestion I have a lot of capacitors most of them from Air Conditioners window type etc. would they work??? I have to check them and see there specs plz if u can give it in detail and I will try it today thank again

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Here is a link to our Ebook on rectifiers. http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/4.html.

Please note that you are playing with a lethal voltage. There is no way you can place a protective device in circuit to prevent any shock from being immediately lethal. You should not be making experiments with this device before completely understanding the dangers involved, and how to protect yourself from them.

Any rectifier diode must be rated for the voltage and current expected. There must alos be some overhead, so using a 2000 volt diode in a 2000 volt circuit is not going to be successful. use at least 3000 volt rated ones. The use of a meter to determine the exact output voltage is also necessary for choosing components. Capacitors must be rated well above the AV voltage - filters after rectifiers charge to 1.4 times the input. If your transformer output is 2200 VAC, the capacitors must be rated for at least 3200 volts - there is some overhaed in that voltage figure for safety.

Be aware that high voltage can charge through unobvious pathways, and so create unanticipated shock hazards. This is a very dangerous way to make sparks.

Last edited: