LVCMOS totem-pole output needs pull-up/down resistor for what?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by erasmooth, Aug 5, 2013.

1. erasmooth

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    In which case LVCMOS totem-pole output needs (internal or external) pull-up/down resistor?

Usually, totem-pole type I/O has (internal or external) pull-up/down resistor only when it's an input pin. But, I know for some time it has pull-up/down resistor even when it's an output pin.

Why is that?

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    What part number?

3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    If you look closely at the schematic for a CMOS output you will see that actual resistors are uncommon. What you will see is a FET configured as a resistor. Is that what you are talking about? Give us a part number or a chip schematic.

4. erasmooth

Aug 5, 2013
    TI TMS320TCI6608 device. EMIF16 output pins. For example, EMIFOE_L (output enable) is Hi-Z output LVCMOS type. It has internal pull-up of 1uA. I think this LVCMOS output has the "active" pull-up but at default it's Hi-Z state, so internal pull-up is required. At run-time, the output has two pull-up at the same time, one is "active", the other is "passive." What kind of effect does the internal "passive" pull-up have?

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/sprs623d/sprs623d.pdf

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  5. erasmooth

Aug 5, 2013
  6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    If it has the option to produce a Hi-Z output, then it is not a true totem pole output. The totem pole legs can be disabled (usually by means of series FETs in both the upper and lower legs) and so then you would need a pullup/pulldown in order to establish the state (or have the design such that exactly one output connected to the node is actively driving it at all times).