LTspice version XVII thoughts

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I just downloaded the latest LTspice. It is re-written to run in 64-bit mode. In fact, it now installs in the Program files folder instead of the Program files (X86) folder.

My first impressions are not good.

First an irritant. When the program is launched, it comes up in a reduced-size window. The window is too small to show all of the tools. So, the very first thing you must do every time is make the window full screen.

The _very_ first time I ran the program it crashed. Not very encouraging. I have had it crash more the once.

I wanted to try it with some of my existing circuits. Being lazy I figured that I would just rename the .Lib folder in the LTspice XVII directory and then copy my .Lib from the older LTspice IV folder.

Well, the copied folder was not found even when I restarted LTspice XVII. After a bunch of tooth grinding, I found that even though the .Lib folder is in the LTspice XVII folder, the .Lib folder _actually_ used is in the C:Users\Richard\Documents\LTspiceXVII folder on my PC.

I am hoping that the new version runs faster but I have not done any comparisons yet to see if that is the case.

One difference I have noticed is that the plotting of the waveforms is jerky instead of smooth. By this I mean that the waveforms are not drawn a horizontal dot at a time but instead a bunch of horizontal dots are spit out at once.

Anyone else have any experiences with LTspice XVII?

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Yes...I have some experience with LTspiceXVII

But it hasn't been all good either.

On the positive side,,,Just to name a few
simulation is faster
You can specify library file location.

But I stopped using it because of fatal errors.
I'm continuing to use LTspiceIV

I'm gonna let it mature a little longer.

cspwcspw

Joined Nov 8, 2016
I just downloaded the latest LTspice. It is re-written to run in 64-bit mode. In fact, it now installs in the Program files folder instead of the Program files (X86) folder.

My first impressions are not good.

First an irritant. When the program is launched, it comes up in a reduced-size window. The window is too small to show all of the tools. So, the very first thing you must do every time is make the window full screen.

The _very_ first time I ran the program it crashed. Not very encouraging. I have had it crash more the once.

I wanted to try it with some of my existing circuits. Being lazy I figured that I would just rename the .Lib folder in the LTspice XVII directory and then copy my .Lib from the older LTspice IV folder.

Well, the copied folder was not found even when I restarted LTspice XVII. After a bunch of tooth grinding, I found that even though the .Lib folder is in the LTspice XVII folder, the .Lib folder _actually_ used is in the C:Users\Richard\Documents\LTspiceXVII folder on my PC.

I am hoping that the new version runs faster but I have not done any comparisons yet to see if that is the case.

One difference I have noticed is that the plotting of the waveforms is jerky instead of smooth. By this I mean that the waveforms are not drawn a horizontal dot at a time but instead a bunch of horizontal dots are spit out at once.

Anyone else have any experiences with LTspice XVII?
I'm a newbie LTSpice user, and I started on version XVII on Windows 10, so I have no backward experience with earlier versions. But what I did notice is that the libraries are "per user" - you have your own Lib directory that is not the same as the one in ProgramFiles where you should be making your changes. After all, another user may also have an account on your machine and might have a different collection of libraries :)

So perhaps put your personal Lib resources into My Documents/LTSpiceXVII

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You can get LTS to start full screen by editing its shortcut Properties. Add -big to the end of the Target path, like this :-
StartSpiceBig.JPG

cspwcspw

Joined Nov 8, 2016
You can get LTS to start full screen by editing its shortcut Properties. Add -big to the end of the Target path, like this :-
Thanks. But I found the -big flag always forces it back onto the primary display. I couldn't find a way to make it start up maximized on my second display which is where I'd really like it.

I put in a feature request to the powers that maintain LTSpice to preserve and restore last known window state, size, and position. It is a pretty trivial task on Windows - see e.g. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...osition-in-windows-forms-application-settings.