LTSpice Library

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Basic Geek, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Basic Geek

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 28, 2013

I would like to build up a library which can be shared between my colleagues and myself of third party spice models.

I can import third party models into a schematic (both .model and .subckt) using the .inc and .lib spice directive instructions.

What I would like to do is have a central repository of third party models but I do not want to have to add the .inc statement for every third party component used in the schematic.

Is there a way to add the third party models to the components library that already exists in LTSpice?
  2. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Not sure if its what you had in mind - but the standard libraries (such as standard.dio etc) can be found online with a bit of googling, many have been added to and you can cut/paste to upgrade one of your own.

Its very important to back up the original standard.* files from a clean install, and if you share simulation files created with expanded standard.* libraries, you need to send copies of those as well.

Make a clean install and create a new folder and copy the original standard.* files to it, then create as many folders as you have expanded libraries - from there you can copy any of the expanded libraries over the originals, and copy the backup of the originals back in place when you're done.

If you share simulation files with expanded libraries - explain the procedure to the recipient so they don't trash their original libraries before backing them up.

The recipient may prefer to extract the parameter list from the expanded standard.* file and paste them on the schematic.
  3. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    Here's how I generated a new part that simulates without having to add the .include or .lib statement.

You can make you own symbols from scratch (File -New Symbols) but the easiest way is to modify a symbol of a part already in the Library.

For example for a new op amp, open a symbol of a typical op amp with the same number of pins from the LTspiceIV/lib/sym/Opamps library and modify it with the Edit commands:

Use the Edit-Atributes to modify the SymbolModel to the new model name (such as LM324.lib) which you already placed (or should be) in the sub library.

Modify all the symbol references to be the new part number, both in the Attribute box and the symbol text which displays on the schematic (right click to modify).

Then do a Save As with the new part number as an .asy file back into the Opamps file.

The new op amp should now show up in the Opamps section of the Select Component window and should simulate as any other op amp.

The same procedure can be done for any other type of component.
  4. Basic Geek

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Thank you for your input, tried both methods and they worked well.

Most appreciated.