LTSpice IV help with variable resistor

Bassalisk

Joined Jul 12, 2011
So I am newbie with LTspice and I need some help.

I am trying to simulate variable resistor, like photoresistor.

The key here is that the flux is changing with some law.

That law is a sine wave.

So we have a light source that changes it flux with the following law:

\( \Phi (t)=\Phi _0 (1+sin(\omega t+\phi ))\)

And the resistor value is determined by:
\( R=R_0 e^{-A\Phi } \)

I want to make such resistor in LTSpice, that is changing resistance in given law, with given flux. But I am unfamiliar with the functions in LTSpice and their parameters.

So I want to write function
\( R=R_0 e^{-A\Phi _0 (1+sin(\omega t+\phi )) } \)

And I want to see voltage across it in time. Say like 10 sec.(I will adjust the frequency of the sine later)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Instead of trying to create a variable resistor, use a voltage source. It's easy to vary a voltage during a simulation. I don't know a good, straightforward method to change a resistance during a run.

Bassalisk

Joined Jul 12, 2011
Instead of trying to create a variable resistor, use a voltage source. It's easy to vary a voltage during a simulation. I don't know a good, straightforward method to change a resistance during a run.
Hmm but will I get the same results?

I attached my circuit.

I am trying to see what form of voltage across capacitor will I get, if my resistance changes with the law I described.

I cannot solve this analytically because, you get some unsolvable integrals and you need to transform them into infinite series etc.

And by all means I am not doing that :D

So in a nutshell I want to see how will my voltage across capacitor look like.

Input voltage is constant and equals some value E

Attachments

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
Hi Bassalisk,

Here is an LT spice example of how you can have a circuit resistance vary with time during a transient analysis. IE a voltage dependent resistor. LTspice has no knowlwedge of light flux so you have to arbitrarily assign a voltage to represent a light flux level.

When you assign a value to a resistance use this form:
R=V(node reference)* (a formula of your choice).

The voltage you reference will be your light flux value represented as a voltage.

The formula of your choice can contain functions referenced in the LTspice Help for the; Arbitrary behavioral voltage (BV) circuit element. Be careful that R2 doesn't ever equal zero because a zero ohm resistor is not allowed in LTspice. Apparently, negative resistances are allowed so to keep photocell resistances realistic & positive you can add an offset to your formula.

Math sometimes makes my head hurt, so you'll have to put your own formula in place of my simple sin function.:)

Good Luck & have fun with it,
Ifixit

Attachments

Bassalisk

Joined Jul 12, 2011
Hi Bassalisk,

Here is an LT spice example of how you can have a circuit resistance vary with time during a transient analysis. IE a voltage dependent resistor. LTspice has no knowlwedge of light flux so you have to arbitrarily assign a voltage to represent a light flux level.

The voltage you reference will be your light flux value represented as a voltage.

The formula of your choice can contain functions referenced in the LTspice Help for the; Arbitrary behavioral voltage (BV) circuit element. Be careful that R2 doesn't ever equal zero because a zero ohm resistor is not allowed in LTspice. Apparently, negative resistances are allowed so to keep photocell resistances realistic & positive you can add an offset to your formula.

Math sometimes makes my head hurt, so you'll have to put your own formula in place of my simple sin function.:)

Ifixit
Thank you! I got something to work with now!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008

Ifixit
That's really cool. :) I often wondered how to model a variable resistor. I didn't realize you could use arbitrary variables for the resistor value, the same as the arbitrary behavioral voltage and current sources. Learned something really useful. Thanks.

Edit: A thought -- If you use two of these resistors in series and fed them both the same control signal but with one inverted, you could simulate a pot with the wiper moving up and down (one resistor value increases by the same amount the other is decreasing).

Last edited: