LTspice help for newbie (capacitor charge)

mahela007

Joined Jul 25, 2008
Hi.. I tried to simulate a simple capacitor charging circuit in LTspice but the output values I get are just not right.

Here's the netlist.

Rich (BB code):
"ExpressPCB Netlist"
"SwCAD III Version 4.12c"
""
""
""
"Part IDs Table"
"C1" "5.0µF" ""
"R1" "2000000" ""
"V1" "12V" ""

"Net Names Table"
"N001" 1
"0" 3
"N002" 5

"Net Connections Table"
1 1 1 2
1 2 2 0
2 1 2 4
2 3 2 0
3 2 1 6
3 3 1 0
I used the 'transient' option for simulation. The current I get are in the fA and pA range. This cannot be true, because the circuit is based on a question from a text book. I can't figure out what's wrong with the circuit.. or simulation options.

Attachments

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Your circuit is not correct,you didn't connected the V1's negative terminal to GND and as a result the circuit can't be completed .And its very normal that it will show the current in fA range as its a capacitive circuit and you are applying DC .To notice the transient you need to switch the circuit from 0V to 12V at startup.

In "Edit Simulation Command" window just turn on the option "Start external DC supply voltages at 0V".

Good Luck

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Funny, I didn't see debjit625's reply before I simulated it - but our simulations are electrically identical with the startup option.

I also included the voltage and current curves so you can see what you should be getting.

The only real omission from your simulation is the startup clause on the .tran statement.

Just a note about schematic conventions; inputs come from the left, outputs flow towards the right. More negative voltages towards the bottom, more positive voltages towards the top.

Attachments

mahela007

Joined Jul 25, 2008
The only real omission from your simulation is the startup clause on the .tran statement.
Why is it that one has to include the startup clause in this type of simulation?

Just a note about schematic conventions; inputs come from the left, outputs flow towards the right. More negative voltages towards the bottom, more positive voltages towards the top
Thanks.. I'll try to use those in future schematics.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Why is it that one has to include the startup clause in this type of simulation?
Without "startup", SPICE assumes that you want the voltage/current settings to start at the values indicated, rather than start from 0v/0a. Without Startup, your cap would start off being completely charged, so current through the resistor & cap would be practically zero, as the voltage on the capacitor would match the source voltage.