ltspice, componant variations in a sub-circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by lord yorkshire pudding, Apr 20, 2013.

1. lord yorkshire pudding

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Hi,

I'm trying to model a marx generator in ltspice. to do this i've had to make a spark gap sub-circuit with a voltage triggered switch in it. i want to be able to call this 10 times with a slight increase in triggering voltage at each spark gap.

I'm currently using

.SUBCKT
    spark_gap spark_gap
    .end

to call the model which seems to work but the voltages just spike hugely when they all fire, but don't seem to multiply properly. i think this might be because the gaps are firing at exactly the same time

Thanks for any help

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Post a schematic of the circuit and subcircuit as well as the .asc files.

3. lord yorkshire pudding

Apr 10, 2013
  4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Don't really understand how the sub-circuit is connected to the main circuit. :confused:

5. lord yorkshire pudding

Apr 10, 2013
    The pairs of circles are the spark gaps. with SPARK[T] at the top and SPARK. i want to be able to change the trigger voltage in each spark (value underlined with red).

I've tried putting a name (Vtrig) instead of a value there then setting it through the sub circuit call i.e.

.SUBCKT
    spark_gap spark_gap_1
    Vtrig=20K
    .end

.SUBCKT
    spark_gap spark_gap_2
    Vtrig=20.1K
    .end

and a few variations but have had no joy

6. lord yorkshire pudding

Apr 10, 2013
    I've found a way around it now thanks,

Instead of changing the component form outside with a function i've brought the voltage triggered supply out of the sub circuit